Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

February 2012 Surgery Buddies

ouch2oouch2 Posts: 1,270
edited 01/21/2014 - 4:40 AM in Surgery Buddies
Hi All,

I am having adr surgery on the 6th of February (L5/S1)
Just reaching out to see if there are others having surgery in February. We could all support each other, compare notes etc.

Cervical, Thoracic, Lumbar...come one, come all! Lets get through this together.

>:D< Karen
>:D< >:-D< : Karen
L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
advertisement

Comments

• Hello Karen,
    I am having ACDF surgery (c4/5 c5/6) on Feb 2nd. Hopfully! lol! My surgery is scheduled but now my primary Dr. wont sign off until she sees me Tuesday. I have been waiting for this surgery for 4 months, so I hope she doesnt put a kink in the plans.
    I havent had any surgeries before, so I am a little worried but trying not to think about it too much.
    Good luck with yours!
    Winnah
  • Ouch I am sending you a buddy request. My drs want me to have same surgery as you are having. Is it Ok if I tag along with you on here?

I wish you and winn the best!!!! :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Welcome to SH and our Feb. group. Wow, I'm sorry that you have to wait until Tuesday to see your primary care phsycian to sign you off. I am sure its just standard in his practice to see you beforehand.
    Wish you all the best on Tuesday, let us know how it goes.

I went for a pre op a little over a week ago, and my WBC was high, I thought that they were going to postpone my surgery. Luckily, after a trip to the dentist, and some antibiotics, I had a new test done the other day and everything is okay again.Phew!

Beth, Of course I will accept your buddy request. What level(s) are they wanting to do your replacement?

adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Best wishes with your PCP appointment and your surgery, Winnah! As for the PCP visit, that's routine before surgery, so everyone involved can be sure "all systems are go" including cardiovascular, liver and so on.

Karen, I'm glad you were able to get the high white count sorted out so you can proceed with your ADR.
    >:D< >:D< >:D< , Ess
  • Karen gave me the OK to join with you even though my surgery was 1/26. With the 1 level laminectomy/discectomy (C4-C5) I was in the hospital overnight. Most of the pain is when getting up or sitting down, and more widespread muscular pain.

I really don't like having to use a walker. It seems like sometimes it can be more a danger than a help, but it does slow me down, which is probably a good thing.

I hope all your surgeries are uneventful, hospital stay boring, and you get home to a successful recovery.

Take care,

KarenD
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hey I'm having surgery feb 7th. Having a full lumbar fusion.
  • Welcome to SH!You are having your fusion one day after my adr. What level will your fusion be? How long have you been suffering with back pain?Are you having an ALIF or TLIF or PLIF?

I am going to go through the surgery must haves thread to see what things I will be needing and start getting organized this week, and pack my bag.

Look forward to hearing more from you Timae!

adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Had mine already but just wanted to send my support to the people who are having surgery in February!
  • Hi Karen good luck with your surgery I had mine on 30th December best decision I made now making plans to return to work after 8th months sick leave still struggle a bit with swallowing some food but now pain free best tip Ican give is after op dont lift anything heaver than cup of tea for 3-4 weeks and do some walking before op.Hope all goes well
  • I also had my ACDF c6c7 done on1/11/12. Good luck to anyone who will be having surgery soon. We are all here to help each other. Take care, Karen
  • I don't know the right terms even after all these years. It is kind of like white noise to me :(

I heard all your L and both S need fused BUT since then I fell and did damage to a thoracic disc, so now I really don't know what would be involved....

But I want to start learning as much about all this as I can.

Thanks for budding up with me :D
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hey I'm having a ALIF and they are doing L2-S1. I have been having back pain for 11 years. I got hit by a car when I was 13. When I got hit I cracked the L4, L5 and got scoliosis. They told me I should have surgery then but my dad thought he knew what was best for me. He said no. So I lived my life and it got worse.. I have been fighting for the surgery around 5 years. I had my pre-op today. I also need to get my stuff ready for surgery.
  • Hi everyone,
    I've been a long time lurker, finally joined the forum a few weeks ago (but keep forgetting to log in each time I come on, which is multiple times daily), and this is my first post.
    I am having a posterior cervical fusion on 2/9/12. This is my fifth spinal surgery, my first through the back (the first four were anterior), and we are looking at fusing C3-T2.
    Fifth times the charm? (I hope so!)
    Heather
  • Hi,
    It's my first post as well. I'm re-scheduled for a Feb. 7 posterior lumbar fusion at L4/L5 and a laminectomy. My original date was today but I had to re-schedule due to a bad sinus infection. I have 3 artificial joints(hips and one shoulder) so I must have needed some additional metal parts more centrally located. :?? Best wishes to all approaching their surgery.

Nancy

• Welcome to you both :H

I expect you both thought today that we are now in February, so not long to go.

I wish you both a successful surgery and a smooth and not too long recovery.

• We will all be just a few days apart from each other.
    I really hope that the fifth time is the charm for you Heather.Glad that you joined us after lurking.

Nancy,it is hard when you plan to have surgery only to have it cancelled, glad that you don't have to wait too much longer.Hope you feel better. How long will you be in the hosital for your fusion? They are saying about 5 days for my adr.

adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • My primary Dr approved my surgery, so I am good to go tomorrow morning at 8:30 am! I would probably be terrified if I didnt have a horrible headache..lol! I got some last minute shopping done yesterday after my Dr appointment and my hair cut really short. I did forget a couple of things so I need to make one more trip to the store. (I forgot the zantac the Dr wants me to take tonight and tomorrow morning) I have soo many things I should be doing today but I have a feeling after I make lunch for my son I will be taking a nap with an ice pack for my head. I think it was the drive that stiffened up my neck and is causing the headahce. My primary Dr is about 40 miles away and then with everything else we did, it was too much driving and sitting in the car.
    I am very lucky to have a friend staying with me until atleast Feb 24th, she has been here since Jan 9th waiting for the insurance to finish up approving everything. I feel bad for her, she not only will be taking care of me, but also taking care of my son and elderly mother, neither who drive..so she will be doing alot! Thank goodness for wonderful friends!
    I wish everyone an uneventful surgery and easy recovery! I will check in when I can.
    Take care :)
    Winn
  • for your surgery tomorrow. :SS

Try to take some time to do something nice just for you this evening. Maybe eat your favourite meal.

Tomorrow is the day to take the first step towards an improved life and get on the road to recovery. There are bound to be some bumps on the way but just keep moving forward and you will get there.

We'll be here waiting for news of how you are doing.

:H

• Hi :wave: to the new members!!!

My prayers & thoughts will be with each of you!! :)

I will keep checking back here for updates.

Please post here as/when you can.

You are not going into your operation alone. Remember many members here at SH have traveled this same path and our hearts are with each of you!!! :hug:

• Wow that is cool that we all have are surgery are so close.... I'm so ready to go into surgery. Then I can move on with life. I won't be in so much pain. I got a job offer today but I had to turn it down cuz he wanted me to start next week. But I will be having the surgery that week and I need to recovery or I would get up and move. So I'm going to go back and talk to him and see what he says.

Are you guys ready to have surgery and have the journey of recovery? In the end it will be good for all of us. I was talking to a freind I knew and meet that had spinal fusion. They said they have never regretted it.

Keep in touch y'all..
  • Its 11:35 pm and I am eating bbq chips and drinking a soda..loL! I cant eat after midnight :) I have to be up at 4am, leave for the hospital at 5:30 and be there by 7am. I do not know how I am going to walk through the hospital doors and willingly have surgery, when I dont even hurt right now. I really do not want to leave my kiddo, his dad passed away 2 yrs ago and I am the only family he has. But I know I have to do it and hopefully down the road it will mean a better life for us.
    I think I am just having last minute jitters. I will talk to you all when I get home on Friday.
  • I think you might be in a different time zone, but it's 6:50 am here and I'm thinking of you winnah. Best wishes to you today.
    Karen, my dr. says I should be only 1 night in the hospital. The other surgeon I saw said 3 nights, he also said I'd be off work 3 months vs. my dr. doing the surgery who said 4 to 6 weeks. Guess in a month I'll know a lot better who was right!
  • You are in my thoughts and prayers right now.This is the first day of a whole new life.

I know it is hard to leave our children for the surgery,but you are doing something that will be beneficial to your son in the long run.He will be getting his mom back healthier and in less pain. Great that you have a friend staying with him.I'm sorry,it must be hard having lost his dad.

Thinking of you and look forward to hearing from you when you are able

Timae, wow only 1-3 nights after a 4 level fusion? That doesn't seem like near enough time.Please don't let them release you before you are ready.
    >:D<
    Karen
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hey karen I won't... I'm freaking out right now. Im having panic attacks. Im doing diff things to clear my mind. Nothing is working for me. Does any one have any good ideas? The only thing I want to do is work out. I can't do that 24/7... Do you think I doc can get me something To calm me down.
  • I would definitely call your doctor. They can prescribe you something to help relax you.

Try to do something special this weekend that you enjoy. Maybe play some relaxing music, visit with friends and/or family (that is what I am doing)

I am nervous too,but still in the more excited than scared stage...I imagine that may change this weekend.

Please give your doctor a call before the weekend,and come here to talk for support.
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • winnah - my thoughts are with you :hug:

timae - I agree - call your Dr. Many people feel like this before surgery and need some help :)

ouch - happy to hear your pretty much chilling about this ;)

• I am having ADR surgery (L4/L5) on 15Feb12. Good luck to everyone. I am VERY nervous and I have had three knee surgeries. There is something about my back being operated on that gives me the willies. My nerves and anxiety are so bad that at my pre-surgery brief I am going to ask my surgeon for something to tone me down. If something other than drugs worked for the above issues please let me know. Good luck to everybody and I hope to chat w/ you all post surgery.
  • I had to stay a little longer than we thought, my blood pressure went up to 250/200, but they think it was from pain. Its still a bit high but better now. I was supposed to go home the same day or next morning, but talked them into keeping me till almost dinner time the next day. I havent been out of the recliner much, kind of in a pain pill haze most of the day. The swallowing is pretty bad, worse than I thought it woule be. They didnt not have me in any kind of collor the whole time I was in the hospital. They were supposed to come and fit me with one before I left (I had to ride in the car for 90 mins home) But the insurance company wouldnt cover it and no one told me for hours after I was released! They did find me an aspen collar and gave me that for the ride home. I am very glad to be home! I will update more later :)
    Winnah
  • Im happy your doing good. It always good to stay long in the hospital cuz then you know that every thing is good when you leave. Keep the updates coming. We would love to hear from you
  • You are having adr surgery 9 days after I am. I am having an adr at L5/S1 tomorrow. I am getting nervous now. Would love to keep in touch with you during our recoveries.

Winnah, welcome home! Sorry to hear that you had such high blood pressure. Glad that it has gone down.Hope that you are able to stay ahead of your pain, and have a great recovery.Hope that you have soft foods for your swallowing.Thanks for the update, and look forward to hearing more from you!

adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
advertisement