Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Home after laminectomy and discectomy at L4-L5

KarenDKKarenD Posts: 742
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
#:S I'm home after 1 night in the hospital following a laminectomy and discectomy at L4-L5. So far, I am glad to say that the pain and spasms are not as bad as I thought they would be, especially after my 4 level ACDF last May. As the doctors predicted, some symptoms are better and some are a little worse (more numbness in the foot and moved up into the lower leg).

I am really going to try to follow doctor's orders and take it easy. I don't want to go back for another surgery any time soon!

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.

• Karen! Glad to hear that you are on the other side!Glad that the pain and spasms are not as bad as you thought they would be.

Hope that the numbness starts to settle down for you soon, sometimes that can take awhile as the nerves have been irritated. You said that some things feel better as well...where do you feel improvement, back, leg pain?

You, like I are having two surgeries within a year. I had a discectomy/lami (L4-S1) in July and in a week (Feb 6th) I will be having an artificial disc replacement (L5/S1) I started a thread for Feb surgeries, to support each other in recovery. I know you had yours in Jan. but would love to hear from you and how your recovery goes.

Take things slow, try to walk as much as possible( resting in between, and start off with small distance)Stay ahead of the pain.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery!

>:D< (the other) Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi Karen D, looks like you and I had surgery on the same date. I had a microdiscectomy on L4L5 on Friday and got home from the hospital yesterday. I had disc pain for 7 years before surgery (this was my first surgery). My doc told me that people who have had disc pain don't find this surgery too painful since we've already been through so much pain. I have to say I disagree -- I feel like I was whacked in the back repeatedly with a baseball bat!

Hope your recovery goes smoothly. Take care.

• The pain down my leg improved somewhat, but that pain has increased some today. I've got a lot of muscle tension and spasm.

Shane - good luck with your recovery. It'll get better. You might be feeling more pain than I do from the surgery because I've been through others. Before the surgery I met with my surgeon's PA who said that "veterans" usually are not affected as much by the surgery as "newbies".

I look forward to joining in with the February recoverees.Thanks Karen.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I had a Laminectomy and Discectomy at L4/L5 and L5/S1 on 25/01/12 and spent 6 days in hospital before coming home yesterday. By the time I had the surgery I was suffering severe pain in both legs and could not walk.
    surgery lasted 5 hours and immediately after the leg pain was gone and a large degree of movement range was recovered. 10 hours after surgery...I could not raise my left leg, yet sensation levels were good. 28 hours later, it was just as after the operation and I am able to walk quite freely without generating pain...even climbing stairs. However since the operation I have experienced severe pain around the wound site which has required the continuous use of oxycontin and oramorph to manage and allow sleep...up until yesterday when i left hospital and am trying to manage on 4 x 100mg tramadol daily (barely managing with paracetamol supplementing the tramadol)

for the last 3 days i have been experiencing recurring episodes of the following syptoms:

very warm/hot back followed by...
    sweating followed by...
    light headedness (not always)

nurses on ward and consultant said it was nothing to worry about, but i cant shake my concern. I suggested that it may be a side effect/withdrawal symptom of the morphine since these episodes have increased since i stopped receiving it. but they dismissed it.

any ideas/comments?
  • Have you called your doctor? Hopefully you're just withdrawing from the meds in the hospital. I don't think Tramadol is very strong. I'm on hydrocodone but I need it for the pain relief. Maybe there's an in between level of pain meds your doc can give you; something stronger than Tramadol and not as intense as the oxy. I know I couldn't get by on just taking Tramadol right now.

Hopefully the pain around the wound site will dissipate and you will gain more range of motion. Good luck.

• I had my surgery in Dec. of 2010 due to sciatica in my left leg and foot. Had been diagnosed with DDD and spinal stenosis also. Follwing my surgery I counldn't believe all the numbness, tingling and pain were gone. Took me a little while to get back on my feet pain right afer was pretty bad but as the weeks went on I recovered nicely. I resumed work in about 3 and a half months (I'm a machinist that makes medical equipment. lol!) Anyway I was doing fine except for the occasional back ache 6 months post recovery started having numbness in my left leg and foot again. I called my ortho doc told him what was going on after a consult he thought I may have popped a disc out again so he sent me for and MRI.My test came back ok but he noticed I had developed a signifcant amount of scar tissue. I'm now in pain management taking morphine sulfate 30mg and oxy 10/325. I would very much like to come off all this medication is there anything else that can be done? I've done my stretching exercises since day one to prevent this but apparently to no avail.I spoke with my doctor about reducing the scar tisue but he say another surgery will just create more which does make sense. If anyone has any other alternatives please feel free to comment .
  • Im glad everything worked out ok.

Best thing you can do now is rest and take it easy. For me this is the hardest part...doing nothing