Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No memory more noticable.

SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Depression and Coping
I know you were all so supportive when I was being tested for the personality changes. And also the forgetfulness.

It seems to be more often..the no memory. Like I'll be talking with friends and with in one minute, friend goes back to add to that discussion and I have no idea what they are talking about...no idea.

Or my friend will hear me on phone making arrangements to have friend visit for a movie.

I hang up and am asked what day friend is coming over. Again, no idea what I just discussed before I can even close my phone and put it in pocket.

People I have been seeing to help me, and I bring my good friend along..professionals giving me lists of assisted living homes for before the age of 65. They don't know me. I can still care for myself, but that's what they are seeing.

Then I have my kids and most of my friends who have such high expectations and I shouldn't think I can read their minds..but they seem to respond like.."knock it off..not funny..I just told you"

Actually, I'm pretty fine with it. I'm in a kind of happy place in my head right now. But it's an odd and little lonely place sometimes.

As the results said I don't have dementia, just damage from strokes...but it feels like dementia. Knowing it won't get worse is good..but still odd kind of living right now.

Thanks for listening!
Spine-Health Moderator
Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• i'm glad there is no indications of dementia. a few things to keep in mind is that there can me medication induced memory difficulties (which you probably know anyway). second, once we are cognizant of memory issues we tend to focus more on it and when we feel we are at the very moment of awarenesse eriencing an episode of forgetfulness we get anxious (i.e. "OMG i'm losing my mind)! anxiety can absolutely have a negative impact on our memory as well. so when the two exist - medication and anxiety - the situation is compounded. add on to that "normal" memory decline due to age ... voila. this is not to say that i am minimizing what you are saying, but hopefully i provided some consulation to you too >:D<
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Yes..that's been considered..but bears repeating.:)

Mostly it's like happening and I am unaware, so reallly the frustration is on others. Fortunately my head is in a simple and pretty content place.

So I kind of come with a "disclaimer" to friends and family. So really..it's when they tell me..or I read it in their faces..that I realize life is different.

This may sound bizarre, but in a way...all this forgetfullness has made a less stressful place in my head to live. I can say that now with depression handled. :)

Thanks for talking with me about it!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    I think I have lost all my memory. My short term memory is down in the dumps. I have trouble remembering what someone told me a few hours ago.
    Everyone in my feeling sees this, I know it, but I dont know why.

My long term memory is 100 percent fine! No trouble there.

And, when I start to discuss and teach wine, there is no loss of any memory.

So, for me, I think its more about what I make sure I commit to memory vs memory loss. Its what my wife calls my selective hearing.

Though I do worry about this from time to time. Mainly because I do see myself forgetting so much.
    Could it be early signs of dementia?

I hope not, but it is something I need to keep in my mind all the time
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am also having memory issues resulting from my medication cocktail. I'm in my 20's, and this is embarrassing. People tell me all the time that I'm repeating myself, or I've mentioned this in previous conversations. They almost seem insensitive about it.

I am glad that you are in a happy place. I wish you could draw me a map on how to get there...