Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bulging disc-microdisc'wotsit op

BrickingmypantsBBrickingmypants Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all,I'm new to all this,got say say you all seem like a fab bunch!
I'm currently on countdown to the microdisc'wotsit for bulging disc L5-S1,POOING MY PANTS ABOUT THIS!!!
I do have a few questions,iv gone through the normal in agony lark but iv only had physio up to now & iv been taking things really easy,like stopped all non essential activity & things seem have improved,to the point I can almost get through the day without my cocktail of pain killers,anyway,my orthopeadic oppointment came round & I was told I would need the surgery,iv not been offered any other treatment before this-
no decompression or injections have ever been mentions,The decision now needs to be made OPERATION OR NOT?
What would people recommend,I'd like to here from those who have gone through it & those who decided against it,while I long for a fix to my problem,is the operation the long term solution & could it do more harm than good in the long run?

• The micro d is the least invasive surgery and most do well with it,

But it depends how long you had the condition? And why no pt and injections were offered you would have to ask the dr. Is it posible it might resolve itself with pt?

Thats what you have to ask another dr if i was you before surgery,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Mmm,i'v had Bach pain for around a year & my left leg would go numb when sat for any length of time & then in the last four months the leg pain started & got very bad quickly,it was time for medical help!
    I got to the point of not been able to walk whilst waiting for physio,but the fist session saw a great improvement,with some leg pulling & back curls,I was told by the physio that they wouldn't really be able to help me as the same treatment week on week didn't improve I'm condition,so iv just been taking it really easy & poping the pills,it's taken four months & a lot of tears to get to orthopaedics,where iv been told I'll need surgery....I'm quite happy to go through with it,as I crave a return to my life,but I Just wanted to know what other people thought about this.....is it a case of the op is a quick fix that time may do for me or am I risking opening a potential bag of worms in my strife to be fixed quicker?
    Don't get me wrong more often than not I still get major back pain and the leg is still 50/50 & I will not go anywhere without my jar of pain sweets,but should I question this or just go ahead with it
    P.s what is "PT"???
  • Hello,
    first, PT is physiotherapy.

and my two cents on surgery is... it is a personal choice- and nobody but you can answer your question

What you can do is research all you can on the type of surgery recommended for you, (look at the surgery forum), and research what others have had for treatment options. See what you have tried, and what you haven't yet.

Cheers! and happy reading!! :)