Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone's pain WORSE with sitting?

autimom4everaautimom4ever Posts: 25
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Lower Back Pain

If so, have you gotten a diagnoses?

I've had this pain since October (oddly since I stopped taking Cymbalta - for anxiety for 5 years... never had pain before).

• maybe try that again to see if u r still having trouble sitting. probably 80% have sitting issues back/leg related.

good luck

• I was prescribed cymbalta 5 years ago for anxiety.

In October, I missed a dose and started going through MAJOR withdraw (dizziness, tremor, nausea, horrible irritability, inability to get words out, moments of disassociation).

So I decided and told my doctor that I DID not want to be on a drug that I am SO dependant on. So I weaned slow but still went through months of withdraw (thought THAT would never end).

So now I'm afraid of all SNRI'S and their relatives (i.e. Tramadol). I wouldn't with my enemies to go through that withdraw.

Ironically, while weaning off of cymbalta, the pain started. I think (as well as every doctor I have seen for this pain) cymbalta masked a pain that, if I would have known was there before, would have done something about it a long time ago.

I am SO angry with Eli Lilly (maker of cymbalta) I could SPIT!!!

• don't sit at all. I cannot stand to sit,so I basically lean on my hip,lie on my side, or stand.

A lot of people have sitting problems with lumbar problems. I also have coccydinia which causes extreme pain in the tailbone. I was going to have my tailbone removed, but am hoping that it is coming from my lumbar area and will improve after my adr surgery.

Sorry to hear about your trouble with Cymbalta as nerve meds can really help with sitting issues,due to nerve involvement
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi
    Sorry you are having problems sitting.
    I find it very difficult to sit, nothing really helps, i don't like to take medications but sometimes i think you have no choice. Gabapentin takes the edge off the pain.
  • Hi
    Sorry you are having problems sitting.
    I find it very difficult to sit, nothing really helps, i don't like to take medications but sometimes i think you have no choice. Gabapentin takes the edge off the pain.
  • I am the same way. I can only sit for 20 or so minutes before my lower back/tailbone hurts so bad I am nauseous. Unfortunately I am not going to be of any help because thus far no Dr has been able to help. But please share if you figure out anything. Good luck to you in your search for the pain to stop.
  • i've had 4 lumbar surgeries and prior to all of them i had really horrible difficulties/pain when sitting. these pains dissipated a lot after the surgeries but i think the multiple surgeries kinda messed things up everywhere and is the reason things are a bit messed up down there, but th surgeries did help because the compression on the nerves was release.

• I have no idea if this might be your problem or not, but my son's doctor thinks he has internal disc disruption & annular tears. Sitting causes the worst pain for him. Best wishes for finding what is wrong and something that will really help.
  • YES. Significant pain when I sit, after about 30 minutes or so, I start having horrible low back pain. But I went through a major trauma when I was about 18 years old, so, that can make sense for me; for you though, I'm not sure what your pain is from. Considering with lower back pain it can be anything. I don't know where you're feeling the pain when you sit for a period of time, but I assume since most of the pressure is on your lower back that your lower back would be the area where you're feeling most of your pain. I mean, I can only suggest to get some CT scans done or MRI done just to see if possibly there is something going on there; it can be anything really it's hard for doctors do diagnose things without visually seeing anything going on in your specific area of pain. I wish you luck and hope you feel better. I CAN'T STAND LILLY. At all. I was on Zyprexa for a very long time and turned in to a zombie/slept forever/gained a TON of weight. Although I assume there are side effects to every medication; Lilly is just not the maker for me anymore haha.
  • Have you been diagnosed with any sort of back problems yourself? I have arthritis in my lower back and SI joint problems, and when things are flared up the sciatica really causes problems and sitting is miserable.

Sounds like you need to pay a visit to your doc and find out what's going on.

As for Cymbalta, it is probably like any of the anti-depressant type drugs; you have to wean off very, very slowly....the last time I went off one, I literally scraped a tiny bit off the tablet (with Cymbalta, you'd have to open it and remove a few of the crystals) each week; it took months to actually wean right off. I just started on Cymbalta in December, and I think I am finally seeing some improvement in my pain levels.

All the best.

• I'm back on the cymbalta... No choice...
    The withdraw and my back pain (with unknown cause per many tests) is just getting in the way of my life.
    It's affecting my family life and my job.

I guess I'll be on it forever :(
  • Just wondering if your doctor has suggested any other treatments to settle down the back pain, rather than putting you right back on to Cymbalta, i.e. physiotherapy, massage, etc? It would be nice for you to try and get some answers, that's for sure.
  • Yes I have increased pain with sitting. It's a more of a slight aggrivation that builds up to more aggrivation after about a half hour.

I honestly don't know what a person is suppose to do in this scenario. I have a job that is sometimes rather physical (mechanic) and a busy/heavy night can make my back muscles tighten up so I feel the pain of that.
    Sitting gives not muscle pain but just low deep aggrivation pain. I recently put in for a promotion to an office/supervisor type of position, unfortunately because of my sick calls last year (thanks to my back) I got turned down. :(
    I don't know if that was good or bad, continuing on with a physical job or trying to get a position that is an office/sitting job, what a mess.

So yea, I do know what you say when sitting increases pain. Sleeping and walking seem to be the only two things that don't provoke it yet.
  • I accidently ran across a chair I could sit in while attending a class for work. I fought the sitting problem for yrs.( still do at times ). I bought one chair for work and another for home.
    Everyone is different, but sometimes you just have to keep trying until you find what works best for you.
    I would look-up Neoneuralization, and see if your symptoms match this condition. Good Luck.
  • Yes I have pain with sitting. To the point where I can no longer work at my office job. I have been on disability for a year now.
    My diagnosis is L4/5-S1 disc herniations, DDD, facet joint degeneration, SI joint issues, and lumbar osteoarthritis.

I asked for cymbalta a year ago and my doctor refused saying it would not work for 'my kind of pain'. Hearing what some of you have to say I guess I'm fortunate. Lyrica, celebrex and oxycontin are making life bearable though I could handle more pain relief if it was possible.

Good luck, I hope you find something to help with your problems soon.
This discussion has been closed.