Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doctors agree.... Cymbalta .... I'm so angry and there is nothing I can do

autimom4everaautimom4ever Posts: 25
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Pain Medications
I was prescribed cymbalta 5 years ago for anxiety.

In October, I missed a dose and started going through MAJOR withdraw (dizziness, tremor, nausea, horrible irritability, inability to get words out, moments of disassociation).

So I decided and told my doctor that I DID not want to be on a drug that I am SO dependant on. So I weaned slow but still went through months of withdraw (thought THAT would never end).

So now I'm afraid of all SNRI'S and their relatives (i.e. Tramadol). I wouldn't wish my enemies to go through that withdraw.

Ironically, while weaning off of cymbalta, the pain started. I think (as well as every doctor I have seen for this pain) cymbalta masked a pain that, if I would have known was there before, would have done something about it a long time ago.

I am SO angry with Eli Lilly (maker of cymbalta) I could SPIT!!!

• To all that cymbalta is helping ... WONDERFUL :)

Just please know... NEVER stop this drug abrubtly
    NEVER skip a dose

If you do you will feel it

Me, personally, I will always try to avoid any SNRI for any reason

• It is scary that skipping one dose caused that severe of withdrawal symptoms. That is scary!

I've taken Cymbalta for years, as well as tramadol. I skip a dose here and there with no ill effects, except pain. So like all medications, things affect each one of us differently.

Have you found something that helps you in place of the cymbalta?
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Your not alone. Getting off of it was hell! X(
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I dont get it, Angry at the drug and the maker of the drug thats been helping you for whatever condition you was taking it for? If it was masking the pain and thats 1 of the things it was ment to do among other condition it helps, and if it was doing its job how and why would anyone be angry about it,

The side affects and withdraw after long term use is very well known with most every drug, If there is a reason for stoping the medication after long term use, Then dr supervision is needed, We know this before starting the medication and we have a choice to take it or not,

If i am taking pain medication for my back pain and i get an injury to my shoulder and dont realise i have injury to my shoulder because i did not feel pain, I cant blame the pain medication or the maker of the pain medication!

If i cant feel that i have another injury would tell me i am over medicated and need to be on less pain medications so i am in tune with my body to some degree to feel some pain,

I had bad reaction to cymbalta and wont touch it again, Took tramadol for years and switched to norco and never had any withdraw of any sort,

Cant blame the drug or the drug maker when we are aware of the danger involved taking it,

Thats my personal opinion ,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Due to the drug makers pushing this drug especially now for "treatment of back issues" many people are going through trialing the drug and then having more issues trying to get off a product never produced for the intention of pain. We all reacted differently to meds. But I agree with the original poster. Making a med that makes all of your already difficult issues more difficult to deal with because now you add many side effects from withdrawl of said med is just putting the public at general in more pain and discomfort (the very thing they're trying to get out of) Down with Eli Lilly on Cymbalta anyways!
  • Hi spineless :wave: & welcome to SH - cool user name ;)

BUT keep in mind that none of us are forced to take said drug. Each of us have a responsibility to know everything about every drug we take BEFORE we take it. Based on our info then we can decide if the risks are worth the benefit.

Many yrs ago a drug that is now quite common in treating neuropathy was originally made/used for treating bed wetters.
    I am on a Psyo med that was created for mental health issues but they found it helps with migraines.

I have a LOT of issues with drug companies & the FDA and other organizations that are suppose to protect us. However not on this issue.

We each have a responsibility to gain knowledge.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Every medicine one decides to take is going to be trial and error...And every medicine has side effects.

Cymbalta clearly states in the literature that comes from the Pharmacy prescription that this medicine should never be stopped suddenly and should be properly tirated down all under a Dr.s supervision.

It works wonderfully for some people, and not for others. Just like any other medication out there.

A patient has a duty to ask questions and get all the answers they need from both their Dr. and Pharmacist before deciding to start a new medication.

We all have to make decisions whether a medicine has more benefits than detriments.

I used this medicine for a few years after my first surgery until a few months after my third. It worked perfectly to help with the nerve pain I had associated with cervical disc issues.

As others mentioned....of course a pain medication is going to help lessen the pain you have...so when you wean off of it....the pain will come back unless you have done other things like surgery, injections, PT, etc. to actually help get rid of the pain...

Any type of pain medicine...from the nerve pain ones (Cymbalta, Lyrica, Neurontin) to opiates...are all meant to help lessen the pain...Not to "cure" it...

And the most important thing people have to remember is that when researching a new medication....there will be 100 times more negative reviews than positive ones...People who are happy with medicine, services..etc....Do not come online as much as people who are upset with things. And a chronic pain type board like this one and others....are going to be filled with people still having issues...

So, one should know that the numbers online will always be skewed to the negative.

I have always given a new medication a full month (barring any type of actual emergent allergic reaction)...to let the side effects lessen and to see how it works with my body. I actually never pay attention to what others think about a medicine as everyone is different. I also think the mind is very powerful...that is why placebos are so effective...

Anyway...it obviously did not work for you...and hope you can actually work with your Dr.s to find out what is causing your pain and if there is anything that can be done to fix it...Or, work with them to find ways to help lessen it...
  • This drug seems like a bunch of bogus to me. A pain "doctor" wanted me to go on it. Im sorry I just dont buy it that it works to "relieve chronic pain" and with the withdrawals talked about on here, No thanks, Im good. There is no miracle drug or treatment out there that is going to take away your chronic back/nerve pain. It is a LONG process that takes A LOT of time and you just have to accept that. Drugs like this one make me resent our healthcare system even more. HMM, I wonder if there was any cash exchanged under the table to the FDA by the manufactures of Cymbalta? Just like the new Oxy Contin (OP), made by Perdue Pharmaceuticals...Which is illegal in Canada, Europe, and even Mexico. Mexico people, it is illegal in Mexico, yet legal here...
  • Tneitzel - I am not saying that this specific drug does or does not help pain. However I can see how it possibility could be helpful for pain.

It "sparks" the neurotransmitters in the brain. Now there are several drugs that do this however most of them do not cross the brain barrier. To my understanding this one does. Meaning you get an even "better" response towards your neurotransmitters such as Dopamine and Serotonin and such.

Our neurotransmitters levels can effect our pain levels in a indirect way. If you care to know more how I will be happy to add more to this thread.

*Note* Due to what this drug does with effect to the neurotransmitters that is why no one should EVER just stop it cold turkey! It is also in part why it can cause some of the nasty side effects.
    This med is one of those if it works it is wonderful & if it doesn't work it can be horrible. Always stay in touch with a heath care provider if you are on this med and never go off it alone!
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • mshumptydumpty. I am purely looking at this drug from the standpoint of it it is not a "miracle drug" or it is not going to significantly relieve your pain then why take it. This drug is an anti depressant. Plus, it was just recently approved by the FDA for use for pain management. And just because the FDA approved it, does not mean it is safe, nor affective. Look at the new Oxy contin op. That stuff is garbage. It is illegal in Canada, Europe, and even Mexico, yet legal in the US. HMMM, funny why only individual pharma companies make drugs like the new oxy contin op and cymbalta and there are no generics. Let me take a guess that no body is willing to make these drugs because they know they are a detriment to society and they do not want to put their reputation at risk. You think that there wasn't any cash exchanged under the table between the manufactures and the FDA to legalize these kinds of drugs. Im afraid that all of us spineys and people who suffer from chronic pain are victims of a vicious cycle, the western medicine cycle. How many of us on here think that the surgeon that cut you open had your best intentions in mind when he/she did so? Think about it people... Not trying to debate with you mshumptydumpty, or anyone. I am just speaking my mind about our health care system, I cannot be the only one on here that thinks that way.
  • I will never say that your last post is incorrect. I fully agree with you - in general. I myself don't know if that happened with this specific drug.

I was explaining the way this specific drug can help pain.

I am not on it myself nor do I know if I would take it for pain. I have considered it though as from a "chemical" view point I can understand how it could help.
  • I took Cymbalta when it was first introduced. It did NOTHING for depression; it was before they drug company starting marketing it as a pain medication. It did put me in a really bad mood. I stopped taking it after a couple of months. It's useless.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ..and it seems to be helping to lift the depression and also, my right rib cage area pain has lessened.

I was on it many years ago, but depression broke through. Now back on it and doing well and hope it holds its own for awhile.

It is so difficult to find antidepressant that works
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• could possibly be the placebo affect happening to you savage.
  • I don't think Cymbalta is a placebo but helped me with depression caused by having chronic pain and also helped my nerve pain for 3 years. I have recently weaned myself off of it because I'm trying something else.

Also just an update, Canada is switching to Oxycontin OP as of the this month so my next script will be the same version as the States. Also why is the new Oxycontin OP garbage? Did it not work for you?

Let's talk about what works for people as we're here to support one another and sure there may be money with Pharmaceuticals but it's all we have right now for many of us to have a life with chronic pain and these medications are a tool in our pain management tool box to help us. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Charry, I just do not believe that this medication helps with chronic pain, and the dependency issue, where if you miss ONE dose you go into withdrawals. Trust me, I know just as much about chronic pain as anyone on here. I am to the point where taking pain meds is more of a crutch than anything. As for Oxy OP, do you know what is in those pills that makes them not crushable? It is a rubber like substance. I'm sorry but I do not think rubber like toxins are good for your body. I took it for about two months and it did not help what so ever. Every one I know who was switched to it has nothing but bad things to say about it. They made the drug to deter abuse because apparently you could break the old ones into powder. Obviously there was a huge abuse problem with it, but what opioid pain killer doesnt have larger numbers of people who abuse them? Perdue pharmaceuticals and the FDA changed the drug because of the widespread abuse. In doing so they only accomplished two things 1: Turned uxy addicts into heroin users and 2: Took pain relief away from people who actually need. In the end it is the abusers fault, but Perdue not fix any problem, they just made it worst. Just because a doctor tells you it will work and that you would have side effects does not make it true.
    ..true point that is being driven home.

Not all meds work same on all people..and also if med is crutch for me..I may need crutch for awhile as I have more that broken leg...and will take assist to be healing and well.

re' why med can't be crushed...I think it's not supposed to be crushed...so why would I do that? Harmless additives are commonly part of med to prevent med from being used wrong.

Not all meds good..not all bad...goal for me to find what makes my life more manageable..tolerable for getting through each day.

I hope you find relief you looking for!
    Spine-Health Moderator

• Just missing one dose didn't make me go through withdrawals and I was able to stop taking Cymbalta by taking only 60mg a day then every other day until I stopped using it. It may benefit a lot of people but we all know one medication doesn't work for everyone.

I was saying that Canada now uses Oxycontin OP is now in Canada and if it doesn't work for me I will go back to MS Contin or another pain medication. I'm kind of limited as I'm awaiting a new Pain Clinic appt. and see what they say what med would help me better. I was thinking about the Fentanyl patch but my Dr. will only give it to me if a Pain Management Dr. will give her the go ahead as Pain Centers here son't prescribe pain meds but let your GP DR. let you know what med may help.

I'm not familiar what plastic they're using in the new Oxycontin OP but will research it more and may change back to MS Contin. Okay just read it contains Polyethylene glycol has a low toxicity and is used in a variety of products like Colace. I contacted the manufacturer for more info but it says they will not give out all it's made of but hope to hear some information on safety.

What are you taking now for pain relief? I hope that medical technology increases and finds a solution for many of us with chronic pain. Even though I take pain meds I'm not painfree at all but pain medications do take a lot of the pain away.

I'm sorry at your age you have to have back issues. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I was taking methadone but got off of it on my own because it was not helping at all, just giving my side effects. I take oxycodone IR for break through pain but my opioid tolerance is so high that I can only get relief from taking about 80 mgs. Have you ever researched Opana ER? Doctors call it the "cadillac" of pain meds but i've heard that it does not work. It is supposed to have the same or similar analgesic affects as most pain meds but not as much of a dependency factor. Has anyone had relief from taking Opana?
  • I'm curious as to what you guys think about the Cymbalta...?

I was offered it this week for my chronic low back pain. So far I cannot tell it's helping with anything pain related. I had a chiropractor mess me up Tuesday so I'm above my base line pain right now.

It has made me anxious, not horribly, but noticible for sure. This is the lower of the 2 trial dosages he gave me. The script he wrote is for the higher.
    I'm wondering if restlessness can be attributed to this medicine?

Ultram did not agree with me at all and I'm getting that same jittery feeling from this stuff. If I up the dosage I'm afraid it will get worse. Embarrassingly enough, Ultram also caused some ED issues for me. I'm 32 and should have no issues in that area. Any guys have that issue on Cymbalta? I havent tested the waters so to speak.... yet.

I'm leary about this medication and I do not know yet whether I'll have it filled. Any info is much appreciated as always. Thank you.
    ...but for me Cymbalta seems to help with depression and some nerve pain..so I happy about it.

My insurance doesn't pay for it and it about $350/mo so I hope it not placebo. That would be cruel joke.

Does the package talk about ED?

Spine-Health Moderator

• I have been taking cymbalta for about 3.5 weeks. The first 2 weeks was 30mg and after that it was 60mg. I can't say that it is helping pain very much but it is helping my mood and outlook on things. It has also helped my constant headaches. I have never felt this good in a long time. I seriously don't get headaches any more. Even when I take my prescribed hydrocodone I used to get a little nausea and a big headache, I don't get either now. It is also helping my anxiety. My psychologist also thinks it is a good idea for me to take it. I read plenty stories about how hard it is to come off of it. I guess that is something I am going to have to deal with when the time comes. It is helping a lot for now so I am going to keep taking it. It is expensive... with my insurance it is 50 dollars a month. Also... if you take cymbalta and have not yet used the manufacturer coupon you can go to the cymbalta website and get a coupon for a free months supply.

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
    It so great to feel better with mood and perspective. More than half the battle in my book :)

I take 120mg daily. Thanks for info on website :)
    Spine-Health Moderator

• My "pain management" dr. put a tablet of Cymbalta in my hand and gave me a cup of water and told me to "take this". I had the worse headache I have had in years with that garbage. SSRIs are some nasty medications. All of them have horrendous side effects and do God only knows what to the body and brain chemistry. I have refused to take it or any other SSRI's even though my current "pusher" keeps trying to force me on them. I wonder how much stock he owns?

• Well... Between my major anxiety and the pain....
    I did what I had to (or I don't know if I would make it day by day), I'm BACK on cymbalta...

Happy about it? No....
    Helping.... Not completely but I'm a little better...

I guess I'm going to have to call this med my lifetime med :(

• Fibrogirl - oh my! No wonder you had such a headache! My husband is on this type of meds & his Dr told us that ANY meds in this "family" of drugs must be taken with at least 10 to 12 ozs of water within 5 minutes of taking the med.

Hubby only drank like 4 ozs and then like 20 minutes later had a hammer of a headache.

autimom - I hope it does help you with your pain levels