Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sciatic pain keeping me up all night, nothing helps, no comfortable position

tracerallttracerall Posts: 2
I am very active, work out alot, run alot. but for the past month, i am in agony. had sciatica a year ago but not this bad. not sure what i have done but my leg just aches and burns. it feels like someone is taking a knife and stabbing my calf muscle then my foot gets all tingly. my quality of life is not very good. thank God i am not working right now, i cant imagine going to work on only one or two hours sleep. i have done everything, from stretching, to ice, heat and Nsaids, muscle relaxers and nothing helps. even had massage, been to chiro and still nothing. they say not to work out, take it easy but no matter what, i am still in pain so i may as well work out. i am getting so depressed about it. i do not have insurance so i cant see a doctor, and what would they do anyways? i just need to vent i guess.

• Tracerall, I was in the same boat you're in when the
    doctor prescribed gabapentin (Neurontin) and Nortriptyline. I now sleep very well at night though
    I still suffer incredibly during the day. Ask your
    doctor. I take 3,000mg a day of the gabapentin, and
    100mg of the Nortriptyline. Hope it helps.
  • My great grandfather once told me that the best medicine is ... time ...
    Especially sciatica needs time I am afraid ...

Of course every case is different...
    but check mine.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ...is quite painful, I know. And can be so unpredictable...frustation is a mild word.

It would be good to see a doctor. If indeed you need meds..esp for sleep..if doc thinks..because not sleeping only makes things worse.

But I would think you need doc..let them know your situation and often times you can get samples..or able to work something out.

Let us know how you're doing!
    Take care!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Have you tried a course of oral sterods? If yes then stop the stretching for this can aggravate "pinch nerve type of pain." also if standing and walking aggravates the leg pain less than when sitting you shoud have an MRI of the lumbar spine to evaluate for a possible herniated disc. For pain control Neurontin during the day (up to 1200 mg three times a day) and even elavil at bedtime. Hope this helps.
    Amish R Patel DO, MPH
  • If you dont have insurance to see a dr try some creams that help the sciatica pain, I tried many tropical creams and found neuroveen does help also, found neuroveen on line and figured it might be bs but it does work without any side affects,

Good luck. If it dont get beter you will need an mri to have it looked at,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I am only in severe pain when i sit or lay down. its on my left leg so i cant sleep on that side, its pure agony. i can run, stand up, workout and i am fine so maybe i have a pinched nerve? my friend who is a personal trainer said that if i had a herniated disc, then i wouldnt be able to run and work out like i do. my calf feels so strange. if i rub along the outside of it, i feel where it hurts. i guess thats where the nerve it. i just cant believe this is happening to me. if i dont have a nap in the day time, i feel so ill. i have kids so this is just not good. quality of life is poor right now for me.
  • Hi,

I am not a dr but had a microdisc L5/S1 and sciatic pain that left me vomitting/crying and on 1-3hr sleep a night for 7months.

Ok, I have 4 options to hopefully help

1) Accupunture. I personally dont believe in the stuff however if you can get them to focus the needles (4-8) in the base of your spine along with the side of your knee, back of calf, side of ankle and sole of foot (only on the side getting the sciatica) you should see after 1-6 sessions a drop in the pain. The person doing the accupuncture should put them in these points anyway but this format helped me. - It costs so if its a no go try 2&3....

2) Bandage up the leg affected relatively tight during the day, only between ankle and below knee. The compaction restricts the muscles so when you take it off and go to sleep the leg tries to relax and the body focuses on this instead of relaying the nerve messages (which cause the pain). It can be hit and miss so try to combine it with 3...

3) Massaging may not work because it isn't regular enough. Go somewhere that has at least 3x3 metres of firm ground (dining room etc) Get a tennis ball and sit so the affected side buttock is resting on it. Lay back and let you weight go totally onto the ball. In a circular motion let the tennis ball kneed the buttock for 2-3mins (just rocking your hips should be enough). Then moving your body let the ball go to the hamstring (2-3min) and then calf (2-3min). Dont let the ball press on the base of your spine or back of the knee. Do this each morning and more importantly night before bed for a week.

4) This is the most effective help I had but needs a Dr. Amitriptyline 25mg. Ask your dr if the pain is so bad your getting only a few hours sleep. This drug is not addictive and has a side effect of being an anti deppressant. It works by stopping nerve pain signals been sent to the brain. It is very good and the side effect is a bonus. I know its hard with sciatica and it got/gets me down. This drug if obtained should help while your getting over the worst of the pain.

I had very acute sciatic pain. These 4 measures together most certainly helped alleviate a lot of pain. They dont work over night and as with drugs need the body to get used to.

I do hope you get some relief. Message me anytime if you need any advice on what I've written if not clear
  • Hey man, i was in the same spot as you like 7 months ago. Had sharp pain in calf from walking but not running. I completely ignored it,carried on running lots and going gym everyday. As the months went by it just got worst and worst. U may feel good after working out but trust me in the long run it will catch up with you. Now im stuggling with walking sitting up, im lying down non stop in the day and that just makes me have headaches, plus sleep deprivation. luckily im only 20 and managed to get the year off from unversity. From one athlete to another, respect this injury!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I have the same thingleft leg.  The more I rest, the more painful if becomes.  Activity seems to help but  I teach classes such as spinning.  Taking a few weeks off. Please tell me TIME help yours?