Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What are Dr.s thinking????

davidcrvddavidcrv Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had my 1st disk out on 4-15-07 c5-c6 and I felt good tell the 2nd one went bad so I went back in for c6-c7 on 4-23-08... so here is my prob when he went in he took out c5-c6 and put in on c6-c7 and filled in the holes with bone paste... so no ever since my pain is back on the c5-c6 nerves and no one has ever told me that was what was done... I found out myself when I saw the xray from a trial scs showing me where the leads are placed.. no I have 2 questions

1 I am ok to go ahead with the SCS serg and dont know what to do the SCS or having the plate added back in?

2 has any one ever had this done remove one to put in the other? and did it work?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    I really can't make heads or tails of your post. Its confusing to me. Perhaps someone can read it better than I can
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Having mentioned the plate at the end of the post, and you didn't tell us what kind of surgeries you had to begin with, I can only guess you originally had an ACDF with plates and screws for C5 and 6 for your first surgery? And on the 2nd, they removed the plate and screws, filled the holes with bone paste, and placed another plate at C6/7? Or there was no other plate put back in? Can you re-word your post and question, with more details, as it is a bit confusing, and there's too much room for error for us to answer, and this isn't the place where you want us to play the guessing game.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Your both right sorry I was just so upset yesterday... In 07 I had the 1st ACDF on C5-C6 with a plate and 4 screws.. In 08 I had the 2nd ACDF C6-C7 and this Dr. took the plate and 4 screws off C5-C6 and put the plate and 4 screws on C6-C7 and put bone paste in the holes on C5.. I now suffer from the C5-C6 pain my neck down my arm into my thumb... ok so is this common or was he trying to save money and just use the old plate and 4 screws??? and should I go back in for the plate and 6 screws or go ahead with the SCS surgery on the 13th? I do know that worked in the trial last week....I just don't know what to do....
  • Well I had a recent consult with my surgeon after my C6-C7, and I actually specifically asked him what would happen to the plate if I needed a fusion on the next level up.

He said that the existing plate would definitely have to go, that once fused the C6-C7 would be fine and the plate wasn't needed post fusion, and that he might well just re-use the existing plate rather than putting in a new one (so plate re-use doesn't seem to be uncommon).

My situation is different to yours, and I am not qualified to give you medical advice, so take my comments for what they are worth (which isn't much).
  • Hi davidcrv,

From reading your posts, I guess I am not understanding why the dr did not do a 2 level ACDF at C5/6 & C6/7? Seems like it would have avoided the second surgery. I had this same 2 level ACDF in 2009. I am considering the SCS approach to pain relief, since narcotics are the only thing that seem to give me some relief. I just don't like taking all of those pills! I used an external TENS unit in 1980-81 after 3 knee surgeries and had good results with it. Two questions:

1. How do you feel about potential outcome of SCS?
    2. Are they telling you that the surgical hardware
    preclude you from getting an SCS?

I appreciate any input. God Bless.

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • My point he said he was doing it and leaving everything in from the C5-C6 surg. now 4 years later I find out He took out plate and screws at C5-C6 and mind you I have had pain all 4 years and 6 weeks after I asked why am I in so much pain C5-C6? His response was I dont know everything went well...

As for the SCS I loved the trial it worked awesome I hope to have it put in on the 13th just waiting for the final ok from Blue Cross...

And no they are not telling me it precluded me I just saw my xray for the 1st time in 4 years thats how I know he took out the C5-C6 plate and screws.. I was shocked... To say the least and was and still am pissed off that I was not told he took it out before Surg I was told he was putting in a bigger plate and 6 screws
  • Gotcha!

Went back and re-read your original post. Sorry. Think I read it wrong the first time. One thing I hate about these darn meds ... cloud up my mind some times and I don't comprehend what I am reading.

I agree. We pay these drs to do these tests, etc. Least they could do is share the findings in simple English. I said in one of my other posts that where I used to live, I had a wonderful Neurosurgeon and PA and wonerful PCP. All would spend as much time (within reason) with me as I needed and explain things so I could understand them. Showed me the test results, mailed me copy, showed my xrays, etc. I know these health care pro are busy, but we want answers and deserve them. Keep us posted about progress with SCS and recovery. Here's a >:D< for luck.

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • davidcrvddavidcrv Posts: 11
    edited 09/07/2012 - 8:00 PM
    They finally got a good position the 1st surgery was the trial. Then the 2nd was the implant it was inmy back too high rubbing my ribs hurt like crazy the 3rd was too low hitting my hip when I walked or sat and now the 4th seams to be OK. They extended the leads and moved it tord the front. Not to happy with the SCS I really thought I would get more pain relief .... been off work Sence Feb 20th and now looking at going on disability ... not a happy camper to say the least...
  • Hi David. I can't help you, but this should be a lesson for anyone that's had surgery - always get your surgical report afterwards so you know exactly what they did. I have both of mine for my records. You just need to call the hospital and they'll mail it to you, usually free to little charge.

Take care and I hope you feel better.