Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

notsonnotso Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi All...Well, I finally got my 2nd opinion neurosurgeon appt. and was so pleased with this 2nd doctor. He runs a very nice spine center, has three P.A.s and the P.A. I had was wonderful, spent 45 minutes with me explaining my M.R.I. pictures in detail, explaining every detail about the surgery I would have, answered all of my and my husband's questions. Then the neurosurgeon came in and spent another 45 minutes with me. What a huge difference between the 1st neurosurgeon when I got only 20 minutes and was feeling so rushed and had so many questions when I left. This doctor was wonderful and is less agressive and wants to do only two levels, C5-6, 6-7. We left feeling very comfortable with our decision for my surgery and I have total faith in this doctor. He did agree with the 1st doctor's opinion that I absolutely have to have this surgery and there isn't a choice of any other treatments, I'll have physical therapy afterwards. He was very optimistic that I'll have a full recovery. I have cervical myelopathy which will just progress. I left his office with an armful of pamphlets and information to learn about my condition, unlike the first neurosurgeon who left me hanging out in the wind and so shocked about my newly diagnosed neck condition. That feeling of confidence in my doctor means a lot to me. Surgery is 2/21. Have to say again how much I appreciate this site and all of the input from everyone...I was blindsided by this. I'll keep posting and best wishes to all of you going through this.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    It's good you got a second opinion. Having faith in your surgery team is essential.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• That sounds much better Meg. Having your surgeon and his PA both give you time and explaining exactly what they need to do and then giving you time to ask your questions (and hubby too) must really help to accept what is now needed.

21st Feb is not long away, but best to get on with it. Have you read the useful items for surgery list? Now you have time to shop for them and get your home organised for your post surgery restrictions.

Any questions you may have - just ask away.

Take care :)))
  • Thanks for your nice thoughts...I feel good now about the surgery and the NS I now have. My lists are made and I'll be ready!
  • Great to hear that you have such a great feeling about your surgeon! Good that you have all your lists made and are very organized. I am still doing last minute things...and my surgery is tomorrow.

Wishing you all the best! The time will be here before you know it!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012

• I hope that your surgery tomorrow goes to plan and that you will receive good care and pain control afterwards.

We'll be here waiting to hear how you are and to support you through the recovery.

>:D< >:D< >:D<

• Hi Meg :H ,

Your situations sounds familiar to mine, only in reverse. I had a wonderful neurosurgeon and PA where I was living when I had my 2 level ACDF at C5/6 & C6/7 in June 2009. They both were so compassionate about their patients. The neurosurgeon told my hubby & I their main concern was treating the patients and resolving their issues. I have since moved and at present do not need a neorosursurgeon. I just don't know where I will go should that occur, but cross that bridge it I get there ... no hurry! Anyway, I am new SH website & wanted to add my prayers and speedy recovery to you upcoimg "adventure". Confidence in your medical providers is one key to a comfortable recovery. Take care and keep us posted. God Bless. >:D<

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • I haven't been on the site for a week so sorry I'm just now responding to your post...I hope your surgery went well and your recovery is going well..Best wishes and when you feel up to sitting at the puter keep me posted on how you're doing.
  • Hi Rassy, Thanks for the kind thoughts and I'm glad you had a good outcome with your ACDF. Hearing everyone's success stories gives me confidence!