Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain is getting worse

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Chronic Pain
Still feel okay when I am sitting, but having more and more of that shock-like pain in the area where I had my surgery. Today it's happened quite a bit..whenever I am up and moving around. It has had me involuntarily shouting obscenities every time I feel it. Not good when I have a 2-year old and 3-year old that are like little parrots. I have also been feeling a pins/needles sensation in that area of my back, which is something new as of today.

I am on a Prednisone burst that I just started today, but I had already been on a low dose of Prednisone up until last week. However, I had weaned off of it last Thursday, and I cannot say for certain that I was not doing any better while on it. So I am hoping for some relief with this steroid burst, even though it makes me feel pretty lowsy the first day or so.

I called and spoke with the NP at my NS office again today, as it was to the point I was feeling nauseated over the pain. The surgeon was in the OR today, but she was going to run it by him and call me tomorrow to see what he wants to do. I spoke with her a couple of weeks ago, and she had said he wanted to wait for 3 or 4 weeks before doing a repeat MRI. But, since my condition has deteriorated, she said he may just want to do the MRI now.

I am honestly not thinking this is muscular anymore. As I have said before, it literally feels like I am being shocked in that area, and now with this pins and needles sensation in that same spot, I find it hard to believe it's muscular. I know that even after the surgery, he said there was still some disc material bulging out, but it was not touching the nerve at that point. So I am wondering if it is now hitting the nerve when I move in certain positions. I am hoping if that is the case, it will heal on it's own. My fear is that it won't and that I'll end up needing another surgery. I asked the NP if there is any chance of it healing on it's own, as I know herniated discs sometimes do improve after a period of time. I am not sure how it works with re-herniations, though, so if anyone knows of any statistic pertaining to this, feel free to enlighten me! The NP said that my surgeon typically likes to be more aggressive when it comes to re-herniating a disc. However, he had told me in the past that if I reherniated, I would need a fusion since it is a thoracic disc, and they are not meant to undergo multiple discectomies, like they often do with the lumbar spine.

So, that is the story. Other than that, I started taking my Humira last week for the AS. I was weaned off of the Prednisone on Thursday, and I began experiencing a major flare on Monday. My back, hands, feet, knees, SI joints, etc, have been very painful. I feel as if I am at my wit's end with all of this. I honestly do not know how much more I can endure.

• Hi Kim :wave:

I am so so sorry that you are suffering.

Is there any Dr who will give you some pain meds to help you until it is decided what is going on?

Please do keep us updated. :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I already have a ton of pain meds at home...Flexeril, Oxycodone, Tramadol, Diclofenac, Vicodin, etc...so that is not an issue. Just want answers.

Spoke with the NP today, and they are ordering a new MRI. They are going to mail me the script and work on getting it pre-certified through the insurance company. Hoping I'll be able to have it done by next week or the week after. This shock-like pain is ridiculous. If I am standing/sitting/lying still, I feel fine. When I get up and move around, that is when I feel like I am being shocked in the area where I had the previous discectomy. I have also been feeling a pins and needles sensation in that area since yesterday.

I started the Prednisone burst, but so far all that has done is make me feel like I have the flu. For some reason it is making my lower back ache really badly. I had been told in the past that I can take the whole 25 mg at once, but I am thinking if I need to do this again, I should split it up throughout the day. I think the 25 mg at once is causing this flu-like achiness I've been having since yesterday. It sucks that the medication that is supposed to be helping me, or at least it usually helps me with my AS symptoms, is also making me feel so lowsy.

I honestly feel like giving up, but I know that is not an option. I HAVE to remain positive. I will NOT let this get the best of me.
  • I get that shock treatment in my foot. It's the kind that doubles you over (if you could double over) in pain.

Luckily - I can get Advil/motrin to dull it. So mine is inflammatory.

Good luck on the MRI.
  • I am sorry that you are having a rough time with the Prednisone.

My Dr put me on it 1 time and I LOVED it. I felt NO pain and was like super woman ;)

I begged him to let me stay on it but he explained how harmful it is long term :(

Hope you find some answers soon. Please keep us updated. i will keep checking back...
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
This discussion has been closed.