Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Faster than a speeding bullet.

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Matters of the Heart
More powerful than a locomotive.
Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

I think we all know who that talks about!

Over the years, what do you believe has been the most difficult, daring and perhaps stupid thing you have done!

Be it swimming with Sharks
Skydiving with a chute

I always believe that what a person has done is just one way in which you can identify what that person.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I bungee jumped in TN 2x when I was about 14-15.

I played hockey from about age 10-19. I started playing again in 2010 but had to quit because of my neck. I probably won't play again but I'm ok with that.

Here's another one... I went to college full time while managing a restaurant full time and still graduated cum laude with a GPA of 3.7 overall and 3.85 in my major. (All while dealing with increasing neck and shoulder pain). Too bad I still work at that same restaurant and can't find a higher paying/less physical job in Human Resources.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    In 2001 I went on a working/holiday cruise around the Canary Islands in a Tall ship, I got the chance with other holidaying crew members to be winched up the mast in my wheelchair up to the crows nest, now I hate heights but couldn't turndown the opportunity. This ship was built by a charity as a replica of an original square rigger so everything was manual including winching, ok you only live once so deep breath and off I went, I was up there in the crows nest for 5 mins taking in the view, when it was time to come down something happened that sent the wheelchair and me spinning round gently, soon the crew got it under control and down I came safely, I heard later the captain was quite worried about me and was shouting orders at them all, so were laughing at me when I wondered what the panic was.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery

• I have done some exciting things;

I have swum with sharks, but that wasn't the most exciting - it was at Typhoon Lagoon and the sharks weren't hungry

I have swum with stingrays at Grand Cayman - that really scared me because they kept coming and brushing against me

I have also swum with turtles at Barbados

I have zip wired in St Lucia - that was terrifying for the first run and then wonderfully exhilarating

I have paraglided in Corfu - that was terrifying because it was a windy day and the parachute kept flapping about and I thought the rope was breaking! Boy was I glad to get down again.

I have been in a hot air balloon - I loved the peacefulness of that

Did a seaplane ride over the Opera House and Harbour Bridge at Sidney, Australia - One of my life's Wow moments

Helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon - there was a lot of turbulance as we flew over the rocks which caused the helicopter to shake about - very scary!

Helicopter ride over the Sugar Loaf and Corcovardo in Rio - another Wow moment

Gone into Rocina, the favella in Rio - that was scary, but we didn't realise how dangerous at the time!

I've been on a fast speed boat, spinning around in the waterfall at Iguazzu in Brazil/Argentina

I've riden a Segway round San Juan, Puerto Rico

I've climbed Dunns River Falls in Jamaica

Wow, I've really enjoyed remember all those fun and exciting things Ron. Thanks for asking. :D

I'll remember all that fun when we are in Egypt later this year and I can't ride in a hot air balloon over the pyramids or ride a camel because of the risk to my neck (rough landing and falling off). I am really glad that I have done so much before my spine problems showed up.

• Wow Jelly hall you sound adventerous just like I wanted to be. I loved traveling. That is something I wish I could have more of, a life making a little money with some time off ( never had both) so I could have done some traveling prior to spine problems.
    I saw an interview with an ex-spine doctor who was paralyzed at 60 who they asked are you sad you are going through all this and he said I am 60 years old and what would make me sad is if I had not tried or attempted to experience all I could in this life before this happened. I was married, traveled, had children, experienced life before this injury. I have no regrets and can look back on my life with happiness. It was cute they asked him about missing dancing with his wife and he said the regret would be if I had never asked her to dance. We danced for 40 years. Wish I could remember link, but this was jist of it.

I would have liked a good 10 - 20 years doing all I dreamed before all this. I am sure it would be just as hard then, but at least I could be somewhat content and not have a mind filled with places and things I might never do. I have had two jobs that were pretty much like winning the lotto and I was injured shortly into the first and worse into the second. Crap.
    Herniated T6-7, multiple herniations in cervical, tears in T5-T8. Stenois at levels and smorls nodes from thoracic thru lumbar

• that is pretty much how I feel. That I am so glad that I got to do so many fun and exciting things and that my spine problems, which I have been told would have been there since I was a teenager, didn't show until into my 50s. I am so grateful for that. As a child, I was a real tomboy and very adventurous.

There are still lots of things I would love to do, places I'd love to go. I will try to keep travelling, but will have to watch some of the activities and remember the fun I have had in the past.

We should write a book of '1000 Things to do before you die, when you have limited movement'.

There are still so many fun things that we can do. Liz, your haul up into the crow's nest sounded wonderful. Was it on HMS Raleigh?