Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Congenital Spinal Stenosis

TachtigTTachtig Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hey, I'm a 31 year old male and last year I suffered spinal cord injury due to not knowing I had a severe compressed spinal cord due to congenital spinal stenosis.

I didn't know about this at all. I just woke up one day and couldn't move my right leg very well and started walking with a limp. Just a week before that I was doing fitness and kickboxing for 5 sessions a week.

I had decompression surgery in august last year and I'm still under tests because there are still some doubts about having enough space in my cervical canal after decompression.

Like I said this left me permanent spinal cord injury and I'm devastated by that.

My first surgeon who did the surgery asked if I had a trauma, but my surgeon who is on my case at the moment said that my canal has been too narrow from birth so that's why I am experiencing this stenosis at an early age.

My question and main concern is. If my cervical canal is so narrow will my lumbar canal also not be at risk? I've asked for a full back MRI, but I have no pain in my lower back so the hospital see's no point. But I didn't have pain in my neck either and that caught me by surprise. One place in my spinal cord with an injury has already left me quite devastated, so I am really worried this might not be the end of this story.

I guess there is no other way than to pay for an MRI myself (if it's affordable). But do you reckon this would be a good idea? Or do I have nothing to worry about and should just let it go?

• I too have congenital spinal stenosis. It applies to your entire spine, not just your cervical. You'd be wasting money on an MRI of your lumbar, unless you've got pain in your legs, hips, or any area around there.
  • Thanks for your reply. Well the thing is. I already suffered spinal cord injury in the cervical part so I already have weak legs, tingling / burning sensation in my legs etc. My surgeon says it's because of the spinal cord damage in my neck. So I wouldn't really know if it comes from the neck area or from the lumbar area.

I also never felt a thing like pain or any signs at all with my cervical stenosis but my whole neck was a mess on multiple levels.
  • Honestly, if you can afford it I'd ask for a lumbar MRI. I mean, sure, you could have the symptoms in your lower region due to the cervical injury; but you're never going to be sure unless you have the MRI done. If the pain in your legs started when you had the cervical injury then yeah, more than likely the pain is from your cervical injury. It pretty much falls under if you can afford to pay for the MRI of your lumbar. It wouldn't hurt to have it done, you may have some issues there you didn't know about. I wish I had an MRI done earlier, I ended up with cauda equina syndrome because I just let my symptoms go and get worse and worse.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    I also have the congenitally narrowed canal ...

You said you do have leg pain problems ... and till they image your low back no one but our maker really knows what might be going on down there.

I thought my leg problems were comming from my neck till they MRI'd my lumbar spine only to find 3 herniated discs ... one fully ruptured.

So I would push for the MRI of the L.S. not because of the congential chance but to confirm that the leg problems are indeed from the C-spine.

Regards and I hope things get better - not badder,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Thanks again for the replies. Yeah that's exactly what I'm thinking.

I might be wrong because I don't have real pain like it's hurting but then again like I said, I didn't feel a damn thing in my neck as well and it was a mess.

So it might cost me lots of money if the hospital won't do the MRI but better safe than sorry I guess. This spinal cord injury in my neck has left me with enough trouble as it is.

At the moment I can still walk normal (little weak legs after a while though), have full control of bladder etc.. So I'm not really looking forward in having more trouble then it is.