Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, new to this and would appreciate some advice

gizmo2312ggizmo2312 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all
I had a car accident 8 months ago, got whiplash, had physio and seemed ok, but then stepped off a kerb and jarred my neck and back causing me a lot of pain. I went to see my GP who decided it would be a good idea to send me for an xray. The results came back yesterday and I have been told that I have cervical spondylosis.
The xray report reads as follows: "There is some narrowing of the C5-C6 and C6-C7 with some marginal osteophyte formation noted. There is slight loss of cervical lordosis. The facet joints are slightly narrowed throughout the cervical spine. No loss of vertebral height or alignment". My GP has translated this as far as the medical terms are concerned and says that most people would show some form of osteoarthritis should they be xrayed. My main concern is the effect that this could have on me and I was hoping someone could advise me.
I am a 36 year old female and I train for several hours a week in the martial arts. I would go so far as to say that this is one of the main parts of my life and the thought of having to give it up is absolutely devastating to me.
My instructor has said that arthritis of a major joint automatically precludes me from taking part in contact sports. I obviously cannot force him to teach me but need some hope for myself that this is not it and that, if I continue to train I will not end up doing myself any more permanent damage than what has already been done to me. I am not stupid and if the only answer is that contact sport with an arthritic joint is simply not possible then I am going to have to come to terms with it. But if there is any way that I can take something to improve my joints, get any kind of treatment to stop further degeneration etc I will do ANYTHING - I just need some advice on where to start.
Sorry for the long rambling message
gizmo x

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    I wouldn't be able to say about your xray.

Your doctor should be willing to explain and esp your activity level. And doc will explain again... as needed... as it is a lot to take in.

Also, with your physical fitness..martial arts..if you mention your concern to doc...maybe there is physical therapy to help, also. You sound like you'd be an enthusiastic participant:)

It's very good you are cautious so as not to do more harm. I know it's frustrating.
    Let us know what doc advises!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hello Gizmo, Before you make such a important decision you need more information on your current situation one would think. I would ask your doctor to send you for a MRI to get a more detailed report on any injuries you may have and a better understanding on what the future may or may not hold for you.

X-rays are only one of many tools to truly see what is going on with disk issues and I know with me the MRI was the next step. So get one done to help with understanding completely your situation.

As for your martial arts only you know if you can keep doing any physical activity based on what your body is telling you and if it brings more pain than you are willing to tolerate.

I am an avid golfer and hope to continue to do that even though I just had a c3 to c7 fusion with instrumentation. But I also know that I may have to give it up as a result of such a radical procedure.

If the additional pain you're experiencing doesn't go away and/or is getting worse than you are at the start of what can be a long process. I'm not a doctor so take it for what it's worth but I would get a MRI a.s.a.p. because that test really gives a better look at your spine and nerves.

Finally, anything we do has the possibility to do more damage to a pre-existing condition, this explains why your instructor doesn't want to continue with your training. He doesn't want to be held responsible for an injury which could cost him everything.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Dear Gizmo,
    I also have the narrowing & Spurs associated with cervical spondylosis. I have suffered with this , and being unable to do much physical activity.If I did any activity that aggravated the cerviical spine I would suffer terrible neck pain & headaches for weeks afterwards.Doctors said I had pinched nerves due to the spondylosis. Try to take it easy and proceed with caution. Best wishes, Katlyn