Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dilaudid vs. Vicodin

Tree512TTree512 Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Pain Medications
Just had a L5/S1 discectomy earlier this week, and had Dilaudid for pain via IV while in the hospital. Since it was effective in the hospital, my surgeon prescribed it for me post-surgery.

Got home, continued to take it as prescribed (2mg, every 4-6 hours as needed), and began to feel very sluggish and nauseous. I have a call into my doctor, but I made a judgment call to shift to Vicodin, which is much less strong than Dilaudid, since I have a decent supply of it.

Any experience shifting from one to the other? Doing much better on the nausea front since the shift. More pain, but it is still manageable, so I'll live with the lighter side effects.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    As long as you work with your doctor so that both of you know exactly what you are taking, how much, how often and the results.

For my last 2 shoulder replacement surgeries, I was on a dilaudid drip and for my recent hip replacement, I was on oxycontin and oxycodone orally.

My stomach does not do well with the oxycodone family, unless its the IR which does not have anacetaminophen.

For the past 3 years, I've been using Opana, which works fine and I have no side effects, I am alert, etc.

But it takes a while to find the right one for you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • in IV form at the ER here dilaudid is almost always given simultaneously with gravol, which i think in the USA is called dramamine (anti-nauseant). i am currently on the pill form of dilaudid and i take it with gravol and do not have any problem with nausea. so when i get a prescription of dilauded it is accompained with a prescription of gravol. have you ever considered that? i swear by dilaudid myeself.
  • Checking in a few days later. The Vicodin is doing enough to help me with the pain, and the nausea level is much more manageable.

I think the key is to find what works for you. I was talking to a friend who can't handle Vicodin without nausea but can handle much stronger drugs. We're all different in how we tolerate pain meds.
  • Each morning, I take 32MG of exalta, which is an extended release version of diladud. It was tough for the first week or 10 days - massive headache, nauseau, and diarrhea. After I became used to it, all those symptoms went away. The exalgo is much better for my chronic pain than the morphine I'd been on for a couple of years. The Exalgo is very expensive until I meet my annual deductible and then $45 for 30 days supply. If you have something that works for you then that is fine! It is amazing how different we "humans" are and how each of us respond to the same drug or drugs. Good luck. Jerome