Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

epidural injection

brenda bbbrenda b Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Spinal Injections
Hi my name is Brenda B and I am scheduled to have an epidural injection on next week. I sustained an injury t my left knee in 2006 and have never gotten a definitve diagnosis, I have been told I have sciatica but it has never been confirmed by x-ray, MRI or Nerve conduction tests. Over this span of time due to limping and the use of a cane(I think), I also now have lower back pain. I am so afraid of having an epidural injection but I need something done for this pain both in my back and my knee and leg. I have had cortisone(no relief at all) and steroid injections in my knee and in my lower back in my upper buttocks area with only minimum relief. The Dr. has me scheduled for epidural injections Feb.8 & 29th & March 17th. Has anyone had these injections and can tell me that there is nothing to fear? :/

• I'm in the same boat as you, Brenda! I'm about to have my first EPI and am really nervous. I'm curios as to why they are going in to do these things on you WITHOUT seeing what's going on in there?!? Seems a bit silly to treat if you haven't identified the problem. Have they given a reason for not doing any testing?

I'll be watching for responses here, as I was just about to post something very similar i.e., my apprehensions for the procedure. Good luck!!!
  • I've had 2 epidural injections, in my lumbar spine. They put me under light anesthesia during the procedure, but it was really light, like I woke right up afterwards. I don't know if they'll do the same for a knee injection. For me, personally, they didn't work at all for me. But, I do read that they help some people out. There's no pain at the site afterwards, I can tell you that much. All in all, theres nothing to really fear about the injections. Its just a matter if it's going to work for you or not.
  • I had my first epidural this past Monday(Jan.30) and am scheudled for another one this coming Monday (Feb 6). I was horribly nervous. Turns out for nothing. I took an anti anxiety pill 1 hour prior to the procedure...I will not be taking anything this Monday. Procedure was basically painless...felt a little "bee sting" when the doctor put the loacal in. Took all of 5 minutes if that! Easy Breezy!

Now for my personal WARNING...I felt GREAT for the first 8-12 hours..then a little pain started to creep in...then BAM...like a ice-pick to my hip and leg..I was not warned that this was "normal" I stopped taking any meds and got behind the pain and had a very rough night. I highly suggest to have a plan when the local wears off..make sure you speak with your PM doc about meds etc, and what you should expect from the shot...I thoughtthe relief I felt immeaiately was IT! Got so excited and then very let down. I am hoping the next one works better...i think i have some relief, but really don't know....all I know is the shot itself is EASY...I worried for nothing...now I just worry it is not going to work for me....staying positive...I refuse to let the pain get the best of me!
    Good Luck!
    3 level fusion L3-S1 July 23, 2012