Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any Suggestions!!

laughnsmilellaughnsmile Posts: 60
Hi All,

I haven't been on for a long time. I had TLIF on 12-3-09 for spondyolisthis. Disc removed, bone graft and rods at
L5-S1. I recovered and then slowly started having probs.

Now, I have severe pain in right buttock. Worse with walking and sitting at times. both sides of leg are tender and sore to touch. I have the sciatica down to knees. I am unable to walk with out limping and making verbal pain noises. It is like something is in the wrong place.

Does this sound like its related to my surgery, or vertebate, or sacrum joint? Does anyone know what I could do such as exercise to eleviate pain? Thanks

• Just curious - have you contacted your surgeon or general practioner? I only suggest it b/c you were progressing in your recovery and now it is clear that you feel you've taken a step backward.

I only suggest it because found that my pain was increasing 2 years after surgery. I have a super high tolerance for pain and hate to 'make something of nothing'. But I realized, I need to stop assuming things are nothing.

It could be scar tissue or it could be you have been compensating for so long that now new muscles/areas are sore and hurting.

Call your surgeon - if he says it's been too long, either ask to come in or go see your GP. My GP wouldn't touch me without a new MRI which I was relieved with.

Your doctor should be able to refer you back to PT or a Physiatrist once they confirm that your symptoms are not an indication of something bigger.
  • General practitioner shrugged my complaints off and I
    am finding a new gp. My insurance no longer covers my surgeon of 2 years ago. I have found a neurosurgeon Id like to see. Need a referral so have to find the GP first.

Since your pain began after 2 years, what did you find to be the problem? I am like you. High tolerance for pain, minimize problem, etc. Recently I was at an event with daughter and was walking with her and other parents. I had to stop 3 times in pain. it was a short distance. I was embarrassed and realized I need to do something.
  • Hi there,
    Glad you are seeking a new GP.
    Mine is fantastic and even inspired my husband to start seeing him.

Like you my NS couldn't see me b/c it was 2 years. He directed me to my GP and told me to tell him to send me to PT. Luckily my GP said "with your history? I'm not doing anything until we make sure nothing has changed" He ordered a new MRI. And, while I don't feel like he spent much time reviewing the results with me, he told me what I knew after reading the report. My back looked as expected for someone that had 2 microdiscectomies at L5S1.

So what did I find? I have modic Type 1 changes. Means my disc is still degenerating. But I had not herniated any more and my other levels were holding steady. I have a lot of scar tissue too.

So my GP said he would recommend next steps unless I wanted to see my NS. Well, my NS would not see me until I went for PT and his office told me that if PT didn't work, he would probably send me to a Physiatrist.

So, my GP said he would rather just send me to a Physiatrist b/c they will also do PT.

Where am I?
    I saw the physiatrist who has me doing specialized PT and I see him again the end of the month.

What is my story?
    Well, I protected my back well after the 2 surgeries - no bending, twisting, lifting, and I got strong.

Problem? I have zero mobility in my lower back from my bra to my tailbone. They said this is why my back is hurting so much. They are working to get me mobility back while maintaining the 'strength' I have.

Do I think it will work? Not sure. But they are trying to round out the PT exercises I learned 2 years ago and I do feel like it has potential. I have about 2 more weeks before I see the Physiatrist again. At that point, we'll see. He thinks he can help without injections or pain meds but said that I have to commit to doing the stretches/exercises at home.

While at PT - they teach me new stretches, massage me, use TENS/stimulator machine on me, heat, and they also stretch me so while there they can push it a little more than I would.

I'll keep you posted. Good luck.
  • Hi,

I just read your notes on your pain to the buttock. I can give you three ways I used to remedy my pain. I am currently at 18months since incident.

1) Have you tried accupuncture? I was never a beleiver but in the months leading upto surgery (L5/S1 Microdisc) I had 6 sessions. The one thing it solved was my buttock pain. It is a tad costly and like painkillers takes a few weeks to buildup in your body - but for me it did work.

2)Get a tennis ball. Lie on your back and place the ball under your right buttock. It can be a bit painful so take it slow and roll in a circular motion so the ball kneeds the muscle. Do 10mins an hour (no more - its important).

3) Finally, do you do reverse back flexions? So lie on your stomach and keeping your hips to the floor, push your arms up as though doing a pressup and arch the back (try to not push through the pain felt, only go as far as feels bearable) hold for 20secs and lower yourself. Again do 10-20 of these,

I hope this helps. I know very well the pain you have and I hope this alleviates some of the burden. Im not a dr but have had over a years physio so have been taught a few tricks