Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op ALIF- not very much back pain?

dirtmcgirtddirtmcgirt Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am currently 6 days post ALIF at L4-5 and i have to say i cant really feel much back pain?

Is it because my abdomen hurts so much more i cant sense the back pain. Compared to my PLIF last march, it almost feels like i didnt have back surgery?

Am i crazy? Anyone else feel something similar?

• I AM 5 weeks post op ALIF and when i woke in recovery i was screaming in agony .i needed so much IV pain killers [morphine/diamorphine and ketamine} the anaesthetist and rest rest of the team said that they had never in 40 years had to give so much pain relief...i was and still and not very well at all .i am 45 male and had 2 previous back ops i have been in pain for 15 years but the last 5 years have been hell and i have needed loads of painkillers .
    so now my lower back has just started to come back to life {i mean pain } i am sorry to tel you that you may} get a return in lower back pain .i have also got horrible leg /hip/foot and general dont feel well pain .i am off my food and i am finding the whole thing very hard work .i feel like i will never be the same again and feel that i have made a very big mistatke.it sound like you have been very lucky so my advice to you would be very careful in your recovery .good luck
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I am with you so don't feel weird. I am 10 days post op L5S1 ALIF and I am in minimal pain. I had some tightness in my hips post op from being on the OR table for 4 hrs but it wasn't painful just tight. My 3 yr old springer jumped on me yesterday which caused me to turn with my brace on so right now I'm just sore in my right hip fom where I turned. I am resting to help the healing and any damage from my twist. I am walking well and building up my walks every day trying to go from 3-4 small walks to 2 longer walks. I do take a solid 2 hr nap in middle of day which I want to ween off of. I am 41 female in good health with no previous surgeries besides a csection. My incision is healing well - DERMABOND as my dressing and is ideal. I am bloated but my vascular surgeon told me to expect that or at least 3 weeks. I use my grabber a lot but do find myself reaching without thinking. I also bought a extension rod on amazon that my razor can attach to and thank goodness!
  • I have a consultation on 2/27 to talk about ALIF surgery to L5S1. I have never had back surgery before (except some ESI)
    Right now I am just on pain meds and am so sleepy all the time. I really hope this back surgery is the way to go. I haven't read much on here about it yet but did watch a lot of videos on YouTube.
    I am 40 so I am curious how your recovery is going since we are about the same age.
    Hope to hear soon that your getting better all the time.
  • I read the boards and kept getting nervous about my decision - my surgery was 2/7 - and my pain actually went away 4 days before surgery which had never happened ever before. But I knew in my heart that my condition would never improve unless I did the surgery. I have been to Chiropracter, yoga, epidural injections yearly and nothing seemed to work. I stayed in the hospital for 2 nights and was on a liquid diet when I left bc I hadn't pooped, which I did 24 hrs later. The best advice I was given before I left was to start taking a stool softener in the hospital so that first time isn't painful. Everyone also kept telling me to stay ahead of the pain and keep up with my pain meds. I never filled the script and just take Tylenol arthritis which works or me- plus a flexarill a few nights. I did also go to my parents house for 5 days after I got out of the hospital which really helped bc I wasn't around our two sprinters nor felt need to do housework. I'm back home now and trying hard to rest a lot and not stare at dust bunnies that need to be vacuumed. I hope my X-rays will look good and besides now feeling like I want to bend, twist nd reach all the time I am good - by the way you can't do any of those things for quite some time:)