Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 years of feeling fobbed off no proper answers and today i think the gp nailed it.

edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in New Member Introductions
my back/hip issues i think have stemmed from other injuries , from when i was 18. at 18 i did shotokan karate and was kicked on the shin. i think this was a fracture looking back but at the time i tolerated it. I also did care work in homes and training in a school. i did a bad lift in the school when someone wanted the toilet and i couldn,t get help so i did it myselt, that was the first time my back went. i did 8 years as a TA medic and served, I used to do all the long distant competitions, endurance comps, cross country , tug of war,basically whatever sports was being offered i'd be in the competition team. i worked in hospitals as an agency auxillary nurse. during that time i did some lifts owing to emergency situation. think i picked up a few injuries over the years there and a couple in the ta. i started with knee problems, again never fully diagnosed til recently. those were in my r knee (was diagnosed as tendonitis), the shin/tibia i think i broke as teen. a couple of times i took time off twice neck pain which was diagnosed as fibrocitis, but that recovered. i'm a 5ft 2 woman, and over the years had to do a lot of reahing /heavy jobs and carrying full millitary kit. don a few half marathons, used to go running/jogging ect. the last 6 years i've been on the sick for stress/anxiety /mood swings and what was diagnosed as lumbar mechanical problems, but never specified, basically i would feel something give then 20 mines later or after slow onset worsening pain, this would become agony. i'd go to a and e only to be told it was a muscle spasm/pulled muscles. but it was sciatic in nature, like a pain right round my hip down to my knees and sometimes beyond, gp was prescribing codiene phosphate. which at first dulled the pain after about 3 days of utter agony. i felt like people thought i was a fraud. but trust me i was in pain.So i just put it down as sciatic pain. on the 6 january, or there abouts i have had my back going 5 times. i told them stressed and crying codeine doesnt touch it so i got tramadol and paracetamol. tramadol was a bit better than codiene, but i'm still in loads of pain. i'm 42 now. i think the gp wouldnt take me serious on my pain score. kept asking if i was numb and saying i pulled muscles for 6 years . i knew it was boney , it just felt that way, was even once told you've got arthritis but its nothing to worry its slow progressing. was fed up of the agony this month. my hips started clicking today. i saw my gp, and he said my illiac sacral bone which joins to my hip is the problem, so it wasnt lumber pain or sciatica, though it feels like it. once i told him i could feel clicking. i think a light bulb went on. when i got home i researched illiac/sacral and it totally fits with all my symptoms. thing is i have had this6 years that i know of. and not really had proper treatment. i also think i have got arthritis as when its cold my lower back aches and sometimes mid should gives bursts of pain too. i will be getting physio from monday, but i'm quite scared because examples which have set my pain off, include, sneezing, getting a plate out my cuboard, cleaning my bathroom bath tiles. decorating my kitchen/plugging a scart lead in the back of my tv, and lastly the bus not letting me sit befor pulling off. so these things are trivial, but the pain is not. after this amount of time, will my problem ever fully recover or has it gone too long incorrectly diagnosed, right now i cant even stand up , and walk straight. , i consider myself other than my back/asthma /hay fever , cardiac fit from walking everywhere. but it sems its not enough, and because i have some other joint issues, knee and golfers elbow. i cant see weights helping, at the moment i cant even contemplate doing excercise due to pain. please let me know what works ect.they refuse to scan my back, i have asked 3 times, and he says theres no surgery that would help. i'm not convinced and i think it should be scanned after 6 years of it. i'm hoping the physio will get it done.because at the moment i feel like everyone thinks i'm a wimp. but i know i'mnot after the stuff i edured physically in the TA comps, i have done njmegan marches and all the pre training twice . that a 100 mile march in 4 days. used to do 28-30 miles plus 10 mile speed march ect. so i know i have a pretty high pain tolerance. i will only take the pain killers till the spasm goes then i cut down then stop, usually after 3-6 days. after that i live with the pain.i have not been helped on any sociallevel with stuff ie decorating its getting me down, i cant reach up to do light bulbs ect its embarrassing. i have asked for help and just ge treat like a scrounger. but i get less support than drug addicts and alcoholics. i dont get help with heating budgeting loans etc so my home is deteriorating round me, cant afford to pay people just get incompacity benefit, get turned down for everything.and because i get angry i dont bother fighting it. thats me. pain in the rear, or thats how i'm made to feel and its what i have. i'm going to read up on this site and hope to get good advice. thanks