Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 microdiscectomy

mj1978mmj1978 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone. I had an l5/s1 micro done on Feb 2nd. I spent the night in the hospital and was released friday afternoon. I was doing great in the hospital and was running around like a lunatic by myself on friday morning. I got home around 4 friday afternoon and by 9 that night my leg started hurting....bad. Worst pain I have ever dealt with. I should add the part thay when they opened me up my disc had actually ruptured even though the mri just showed a herniation. There were bone fragments everywhere and the surgeon said that it was a real mess. Anyways, back to the leg pain thing. This leg pain was so bad I could barely stand. Sitting on the toilet brought tears to my eyes everytime. A nurse friend of mine told me that I really needed to go to the er but I toughed it out. By sunday morning the leg pain was 10 times better than before. It is now monday night and I have done some light cleaning and some light loads of laundry. I actually feel pretty good. Yes I do have some pain but it ia surgical pain. The siatica and back pain are gone. The hardest part of this whole experience for me has been the taking it easy part. I try to keep reminding myself not to overdo it otherwise I could mess my back up again. I just thought that I would share my experience so far with everyone. If anyone wants updates or has any question that they would like answered just let me know.


  • Good to hear...and don't overdo it. Unlike other recoveries, you don't want to 'push it' with back surgery. Be very careful with laundry (no bending to take it out of the dryer).

    But super to hear you have gotten some relief and are already doing well in recovery!
Sign In or Register to comment.