Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Waiting...what a JOKE.

leahemilylleahemily Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Chronic Pain
My Doctor has run out of ideas, so has referred me to a pain management clinic...Great, but I have to wait Until the END OF MAY for my appointment. No suggestions for what to do in the mean time, no offer of any more treatment, no ideas about trying more steroid injections, no consideration of the fact that I am not emotionally coping with HAVING TO BE AT WORK -and struggling with this much pain. I am having to reapply to the insurance company every month for more psychology sessions...Even though my therapist writes to them saying Im not at the point where I can stop therpy...They dont want to pay for any exercise program... I just have to go to the work gym and make it up as I go. My Physio doesn't give a crap about the fact that my pain and leg numbness is getting worse. And now I have heel spurs. And shingles from the stress. What the actual f*ck...
And the pain killers I am on are doing NOTHING. I need something stronger. But she doesnt think I need them. Because the 5 minute appointment is really a thorough examination of how my pain is affecting my entire life...
My psychologist says that I need to be able to accept the reality that this level of pain is in my life-and will be for as far in to the future as any medical 'professional' cares to predict.
OK, that sounds like a lovely level of enlightenment, which I would give just about anything for... But in what universe do I have the physical time and mental focus and stability so even start a journey like that? I need help, and there is none. I can't imagine the insurance company funding the time off and a guru to help me to that magical land where 'pain is my friend'...

That's all for now.

• please give me a ring ! .i am sorry that your having to wait but may is not too long away and from my experiences i would not get too excited about pain clinics .some a very good but many not ..maybe a good TENS could help while and after your appointment .and as for pain killers can you get your doctor to put on something else?? sorry i have nothing to offer
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I do not know your history sorry, or whether you have had previous back surgery or how long you've had chronic back pain for?

Have you ever had tests that confirm exactly what is causing your back pain? If not, can you request further investigations to find out?

You mention that you go to the gym and "make it up" - I would advise caution here as you could be doing more harm than good. Don't let anyone ever tell you that "no pain is no gain"! This is not true when back pain is concerned.

Can you ask to be referred for another professional opinion to try and find out where the source of your back pain is coming from, and therefore, see what options are available to resolve it?
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    as to what your actual medical condition is.
    Have you had diagnostic tests and if so, what have been their results?
    Have you had surgery? If so what kind?
    What kind of medications are you on?

A couple of other things.

You mention that your pain medications do not help.
    Pain medications alone are not going to eliminate your pain and many times they just take an edge off. Many patients require a total package of various types of medication, approved exercise programs, other conservative treatments, a healthy diet plan, etc

Doctors are not going to write prescriptions for stronger pain medications because the patient is in pain. The dosage provided would have to be based on what the doctor concluded after any clinical examination. You would be totally surprised as to how much a doctor can get out of 5 minute exam.

What has been your doctor's reason for not providing any higher dosage?

- Exercise. As Sue pointed out, you can not just make up your exercises as you go. Without an approved exercise program you could be doing more harm than good. For all you know you could be shooting yourself in the foot every time you go to the gym and do your own exercises.
    leahemily said:

My psychologist says that I need to be able to accept the reality that this level of pain is in my life-and will be for as far in to the future as any medical 'professional' cares to predict.
    Those are some very very strong words. Hard to imagine a professional making such statements. There are so many folks out there that have been dealing with serious chronic pain for years, 10, 20 or more. Yet they still find ways to enjoy a fruitful and productive life.

First step is not to focus on what you can not do, but instead put the energy in figuring out what you still can do and more.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • God I wish I HAD your Whatever that is! I just can't ever get past the focus on what I cannot do! How do you do that? What's the secret? Everytime I groom my black stallion and he's dancing and prancing, I think about how I'll never, ever ride him again and I just cry like a baby. I will never take him alone for the day up to the mountain, on a sunny trail with squirrels yacking at ya, the sun on your back, the deep smell of pine and him, the smell of him and the leather and the feel of that motion and connection and how much we both love it so damn much! HOW do you get past that - please tell me because it's killing me everyday... I just cannot!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    I think its just all these years dealing with it.
    I do mean it when I have said, to me and I know for others, the key is to
    Stop dealing with the things you can no longer do
    Start thinking about all the things you can do now!

Now, those are words, perhaps simple words but not always an easy thing to do.

I also tried to separate the Pain from the Actions. The Pain, through many different techniques (aroma, music, relaxation therapy for some) I started to control. The Actions were somewhat harder.

I had to give up playing the various sports I loved (Softball and IceHockey), mainly because I realized my body just didnt do what it was suppose to do anymore. Sort of like an aging professional. Knowing when to bow out before they start to embarrass themselves. I turned to coaching.
    I did that at boys and girls levels from ages 6 to 16 in baseball,softball,basketball,ice hockey and soccer. It was my outlet and allowed me to stay with what I loved.

Now, for someone like yourself, I know its harder. Especially when your passion goes far beyond just riding horses. Its being with them, its you and them bonding together.

We had a member on the old site, he was a horse back rider. Loved his horses, rode all the time. After back surgery, he tried, but found out it was too painful to do. He refused to let this stop him. He did more horse walking, rode his horse at a very gentle pace and got involved with some levels of horse training. So, while he couldnt do what he did before, he could still be with the horses he loved.

Marion, you just took on an life event that was probable as difficult or more difficult. And you succeeded. So, I have no doubt that you can do it here too.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I think we should all move in to Rons house so we can get a grip on this pain,

I am looking for at least 1 post where Ron is complaining, Cant find 1.

I consider myself a positive person for the most part, But years of pain i even lose it every now and again,

Maybe some of the positive will rub off on us if we move in with him, Lol. Git-ir-done
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • sounding like a major kiss up, i have to once again agree with ron on this issue. 10 years of chronic pain due to 4 back surgeries where i cannot walk more than 100 yards without stopping form pain. you get the message. one needs to accept the pain and put it on the back burner instead of it controlling your life. yes it is there, yes it affects my quality of life, yes, i can't do a lot of things i used to but yet i work full time, visit friends, travel, and i would like again to go to hawaii. it does not affect my life and it is like an irritating friend. it is there but i choose to ignore it. yes i take meds but they only take the edge off. i wake up every night with leg pain but i will still go to work. one can't stay at home and feel sorry for onesself. one must do the things that we can do and learn to ignore the bad things.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
This discussion has been closed.