Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any Suggestions for Neuropathy Besides Meds?

nathan.s.dennisnnathan.s.dennis Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Pain Management
Hello, everyone,

I had a microdiscectomy at the L4-L5 level on 01/04/12 to excise a massive herniation that had rendered most of my left foot and calf numb and had created bilateral sciatica. For the most part, my recovery has gone well, but there's one thing that's driving me crazy lately. I have neuropathy (pain from nerve damage) in my left pinky toe, of all places. I didn't have this pain before the surgery. The toe was a little numb (I could still feel sensation), but now, the best I can describe the feeling of the outside of the toe is a burning/goosebumps/icy-hot kind of sensation. It's bizarre. I've never felt anything like it before. It's not constant during the day. It does, however, flare up about a dozen times each day, mostly when I'm at rest, and it makes it difficult to sleep at night. Most of the time I can ignore it, but there are times when I'd like to just cut the damn toe off! I know that Lyrica and Neurontin work well for neuropathy, but I'd like to avoid prescription medication, if at all possible. Does anyone know of any natural remedies for neuropathy? I'd be happier with a topical solution, a supplement, or something other than a pill that messes with the GABA receptors in my brain too much. All suggestions are welcome!

With kind regards,

• Neuroveen i found on line they sell for neuropothy acfualy works prety well, i never did well with nerve medications so thats been helping me some,

Best of luck. Hopefuly in time nerve will heal,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I dont handle meds well either. I got it at the health food store. It is homeopathic and I do pretty good with it. Good Luck to you. Donna
  • Dear alexhurting and donna,

Thanks so much for the suggestions on Neuroveen and Neuran. I have a six-week post-op appointment with my neurosurgeon next week and he's very open-minded on treatment options, so I'll run these two homeopathic remedies by him to see what he thinks. I'm hoping that the neuropathy will dissipate over time. I'm thankful that it's not as bad as some people have it, but it's still annoying, especially when I try to fall asleep at night and the very touch of the bed sheets on my toe feels like someone is rubbing Icy-Hot on my foot or that someone is roasting my toe on a spit. I hate that burning sensation.

All the best,