Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Will it be hard after

TimaeTTimae Posts: 25
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
Hey. I was wondering when I have my surgery and recover. I know I will need to stay in shape. I'm having L2-S1 spinal fusion.

What's the weight should I stay in and will it be harder after surgery. I used to be bigger and I'm healthy and in shape. I am scared that I will gain it all back after surgery.... If you have any tips for me that will be great.

• Have you discussed it with your Dr? They should set you up with some sort of physical therapy (PT) and, if they're good, weight control should be part of it.

If you maintain the same caloric intake you have now, combined with the drop in activity you'll have after surgery, yes. You will gain. It's simple math really. You'll need to have a plan, and stick to it. Lower your intake to match your lower activity level.

Personally, I find it hard to motivate myself to do any sort of activity when I hurt. I just don't want to move. I haven't had surgery, but my X did (fusion also). I know hard it was for her. She didn't stick to a diet, and she didn't follow PT like she was supposed to. It took her a much longer time to recover than it should have, and she gained some weight. Even if you have a supportive spouse/partner/friends, you still have to take the initiative. You can do it though, right? :) Good luck!
  • Our you having MIS or open surgery? I had MIS TLIF on only L5-S1 approx 2 yrs ago. I dont think you will gain weight. I actually lost some weight in the first couple of weeks. You will sleep alot most likely and be on pain meds. then as you are increasing walking you will be focused on your recovery and body and want to nourish it well. I think you will be fine.

Please let us know when you are having the surgery.
  • Hi Timae,

I definitely gained weight after surgery. I am typically active and used to go to spinning once a week and walk twice a week, and I did PT or weights 2-3 times a week. All I've done since surgery is take small walks. I'm hoping to start PT next week. I haven't gained a *ton* of weight, but I can see and feel that I've gained a bit.

I'm not sure how to avoid weight gain after surgery since in the first few weeks or months we don't have a lot of stamina or strength to do much. I was thinking of cutting calories a little bit since I'm not exercising as much, but I also know my body needs nutrients to heal properly and I don't want to cut out too much.

I'm guessing that as I become more active I'll lose the weight. For me it seems a little inevitable that I gained; I really don't know how I could have avoided it. I'm definitely looking forward to getting stronger and being able to do more!

This discussion has been closed.