Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 year on and still no answers!

TessaPTTessaP Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi everyone, hopefully one of you lovely people can help me out.

Basically, I've had trouble with my upper back/neck for about 10 years, ever since I got chucked off a horse.

A year ago now I jumped off a horse (why do I keep riding?!) and landed flat footed on concrete. WOW it hurt! Wasn't too bad afterwards but the next morning I could barely move.

Ever since, my upper back, between my shoulder blades has been really sore. Taking deep breaths is a no no!

Started to get really stiff/sore hips as well so had them x-rayed and no signs of anything degenerative.

So why am I still in so much pain! Physio hasn't had a great effect unfortunately and frankly I can't afford to keep going.

Any suggestions what's going on and more importantly what I can do to help?!

Thanks so much!

Tess x

• TessaP said:

Started to get really stiff/sore hips as well so had them x-rayed and no signs of anything degenerative.
    Just a quick question, Tess. Have you had an MRI? Or just the x-ray? X-rays are going to show (mostly) bone problems. An MRI is needed to look for soft tissue injuries.

• No MRI, the doctors just say rest and heat over and over.
    Wasn't until the hip pain they showed any interest.
    Doctors hear back pain and seem to assume it'll just get better.
  • It sounds like you need to find a doctor that is going to get to the source of the pain. I'm just a regular joe, but it doesn't make any sense to me that they can make much of an informed diagnosis without MRIs....
  • Be your own advocate, that is what I had to do for my situation with a doctor and neurologist who were dragging their feet to just get in for an appointment.

I referred myself to UCSF Medical Center and they took me in right away, looked at the MRI's I had done through workers comp at Kaiser, then took an MRI of what Kaiser did not to find the problem.

Do your research and find where they teach spinal care at a University near you, they will have the latest and greatest techniques and procedures. DO NOT let just "some" doctor diagnose you, see a qualified spinal care professional.

It sounds like yours may also be Thoracic like mine and it's a uncommon area to be injured (not allot of movement). It takes a traumatic event (rear ended in small truck by car going 35mph) me, (thrown from a horse) you. Good luck
  • Being that it's been over a year now and you are STILL in pain, they either need to order an MRI or you need to find a new doctor who will. An x-ray will only show bone-related issues and degeneration. If there is an issue with a disc that has been herniated as a result of the accident, the MRI will be better at diagnosing that. I would start pressing your doctor to order an MRI.
  • Thanks for this guys. Going back to my physio next week so will try get her to recommend someone.

Otherwise I think I'm just going to have to be a bit bossier with the doctors - not in my nature!

Really giving me grief this week, horrible feeling. Good excuse for a massage though!
  • Tessa,
    being nice will make you friends. It won't make you better.

I hate making a fuss and learned the hard way that this is the best way to be ignored and forgotten.

It grieves me to say that I had to become the sort of person I hate to get taken seriously.

I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde