Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spasms and Pain after Sneezing

signavyssignavy Posts: 63
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello Everyone,

It has been awhile since I've posted - mostly because things seemed to workout for me via the non-surgical route.

In 2009 I herniated my L5 (estimation is that I lost about 60% of the disk) - MRI also revealed a grade 1 Spondylolesthesis (Doctors called it Stable). Anyway lots of pain (both leg and back). I had surgery scheduled twice, but got really nervous so cancelled twice and began a major core strenthening and stretching program as well as routine (daily) use of an inversion table. My surgeon was great, very understanding, and said if I could get to the two year mark I would know where I stood WRT this getting better without surgical intervention. After two years of hard work things felt better and while I had to restrict myself from doing certain things I was in a happy place.

The problem NOW - while talking to a co-worker yesterday I felt a sneeze coming on - twisted my torso and head so I didn't sneeze at him and felt a major jolt of sharp stabbing pain down my right leg and my back kind of seized up. I was able to drive myself home and hit the heating pad up, after a couple hours used the inversion table and almost forgot took a 100mg of Tramadol (always have that on-hand for the not so good days). I have pain (calling it a 5/6 out of 10) and am getting cramps/spasms in the buttocks area when going from a sitting position to standing position (I hate these things) also have minor tingling/numbness in my right leg. Going to my GP doctor this morning with the hope of getting referred for an MRI.

1) Has anyone ever had this happen to them before?
2) Is it possible to have herniated more of the disc from a sneeze?
3) Could the L5 Vert have shifted?

Thank you in advance for sharing any perspective.

All the best, Mike

• If they had you set up for surgery before and you were able to work it out by working out probably never totaly fixed the original issue, But geting the core strong helped you it seems before so if surgery for you is not something you want, you might have to continue to try to work it out as you did before,

Yes sneezing can bring it on and anything else can also because its still bad so anything can agrivate it,

It cant hurt geting a new mri to see if there has been a big change posibly where surgery now might be needed,

Always a high risk with surgery so i dont blame you for trying to avoid it in the past,
    Everyone should always try to avoid surgery if posible,

Best of luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Yes... Sneezing is a violent motion and it can aggravate back and neck symptoms. That happened to me a few times.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
This discussion has been closed.