Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal fusion

geriggeri Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:00 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi my name is Geri.. I have L5 S1 spondylolysis
There telling me I need an operation..I am only hearing horror stories about this procdere.Can someone tell me if this is effecive,,really nervous about getting it..

Thanks Geri
advertisement

Comments

• geri said:
    Hi my name is Geri.. I have L5 S1 spondylolysis
    There telling me I need an operation..I am only hearing horror stories about this procdere.Can someone tell me if this is effecive,,really nervous about getting it..

Thanks Geri
  • i have just given you a rundown of my recent ALIF fusion on your other post .please read it it may help you make your mind up..all i will say don't rush in and be prepared for a very long hard recovery
    tony UK
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Hi Geri

My advice would be that unless your pain is absolutely unbearable or you have serious issues with bladder or bowel you should do your best to learn about and try other treatments first.

If I didn't have spinal cysts that were affecting my leg strength too I would have done all I can to avoid it and now, after my first failed surgery and the far more successful repeat have devoted two years of my life to this. Still,I know that although I'm OK now I will never be back to what I was before this all started.

In my experience, surgeons recommend surgery and rheumatologists and neurologists are a lot more cautious. Have you had a second opinion?
  • Emily Thank you for all your info.. I was told that I will loose control of my bladder and have a limp eventually if I dont do the surgery.. I am on my 3rd opinion with a doctor for special suregires in NYU he is an orthopedic dr this time i went to 2 neuros..
    I am waiting for his office to call I just sent over my MRI to them.His name is Dr Edited is well known and doing it for 34 years.. I am 52 years old I just dont know how I will back bounce and I do have alot of questions for him.My back got worse from 2010 when I did the shots.. I really Ty from the bottom of my heart for getting back to me.. I will keep you posted xoxoxoxxoox

Post edited to remove name of medical professional by Moderator haglandc
  • Hi,
    I am 3 months past spinal fusion surgery of s1/l5. I had grade II spondylolesthis. My insurance would not cover the epideral/steroid shots for pain managemnet and my neurosurgeon told me my condidtion would not improve anyway. I read thousands of posts relating to this surgery and was scared to death in reading all the horror stories. Because of my pain interferring with my life, I felt I had no choice but to take my chances and hope the surgery would be a sucess. It turned out better than I expected and hence why I am writing this post! Everyone is different and everyone will not have the same results, but my surgery was sucessful! My surgeon related a lot of my sucess to me being in good health otherwise. I would recommend if you are considering this surgery to get fit the best you can with your back troubles. Walk, get your core strong and start eating better. Stop smoking, the nicotine interferes with the fusion process. Find a neurosurgeon you feel comfortable with as you will see a lot of him during your recovery. My surgery took seven hours, I had two rods, two cages and six screws. They did a bone graph from my hip to help the fusion. If anyone has any questions, I will be glad to answer them because I don't want there to be only horror stories about spinal fusion.
  • Ty you for this email.. I feel alot very comfortable doing it because i cant take the pain and i am limping and legs burning and feet killing.. I read up alot on this and like you said it depends on the person and the doctor.. i am very comfortable with him he knows what hes doing Ive read all up on his patience and hes a well know dr.. i have no choice I cant live like this I go Fri the 17th I will keep you infromed.. ty so much Im glad to hear you are well..
  • Hi Geri :wave:

Good that you feel so comfortable with your surgeon- that is SO important.

Please keep us updated.

PS: Here is a thread going for members getting surgery in Feb - It is called Feb Surgery Buddies. Hopefully it will help you :)

www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/february-surgery-buddies
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hi Guys.. I am reading alot of good and alot of bad.I know i am scared to death to do this operation,but i know right now i am in soooo much pain.I use to jog 3 to 4 miles a day i am 130 lbs I lost like 65 in the las 5 years.i workout I run i go to the gym.Now I can even run because Afterwards my legs burn the bottom of my feet kill.At 1st I thought I had fibromyalgia it turns out its my back.You cant even touch my legs there tender I feel like some1 hit me with a bat.. I feel from working out and jogging to laying down on my couch all day is no life either ,, I go to an orthopedic this friday I heard a neruo is for the nevrous system ortho is for bones I am going to the bes hospial for special surgery. I will all keep you updated.. I hope you are all well and get well.Its amazing with all the technology we have they cant do this operation and make it better for us.. Thats impossible,there has to be good surgeons out there.. xoxooxoxooxoxoxo
  • Hello Everyone! My surgery is scheduled for April 6th.(See my first post under fusion surgery) I'm planning a trip to Aruba on June 23ed. It's about a 5 hour flight from my town, with an hour lay over in between. I know everyone is differnet, but on your experience, will I be able to make the trip? Thanks to Jofishmom for your positive comments. And Geri, please let us know when you have a surgery date. :H
  • dkay -I have not yet heard of anyone being able to fly/sit/lay that long after a fusion. Nor have I heard of a Dr approving it that soon. Is your Dr saying yes?

geri - please update how your appt goes :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hi MsHumptydumpty! Actually, I haven't asked him yet. Haven't seen him since nurse just called to give me the surgery date. I thought since it would be almost 3 months I could probably do it??? What does everyone think????
  • Hi Guys,Okay I went to my surgeon Im going in March I have no choice the bone is on the nerve and is causing all this pain He is from NYU for special joint disease.Hes a very well known doctor I have alot of faith in him.. Yes I am scared but I started to develop a limp and this is not good he told me that If I dont do it i can be crippled so Im going for it.. I am going to Ny not some surgen who does not know what hes doing he has done alot of these and the bes is he told me the rest of my spine is like a 20 year old go figure!!! He also said thats Ive had this like all my life so its only getting worse.. Good luck to you all I hope ur trip works out for you dkayj..If your surgeon is good you all shouold not have a problem.. xoxoxoxooxoxo
  • Geri - wonderful news! Well as wonderful as it gets with spine issues ;)

Please do keep us updated how you are doing.

dkay - maybe start a thread with a subject of "should I fly yet" or something that will get more members to help you out :)

• Wow Humtpy im going March 15 a year ago from yours thats ironic..AND I WILL KEEP IN TOCUH GUYS THANKS SO MUCH <3 B)
advertisement