Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Multi-Level Artificial Disc Replacements?

Jack 83JJack 83 Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Lower Back Pain

Does anyone know what the status of multi-level artificial disc replacements is in the US? I was around the 12th person and second youngest in the US to get my L5/S1 single-level so they weren't even talking about multi-levels in early 2005. I knew they were trying them in Europe and I have seen X-Rays of triple levels.

My bottom three discs were all ruptured in an accident with the L5/S1 being the worst. I have had luck with my single level and have been avoiding fusions at nearly all costs. If all of my bad discs could be replaced, at 33yrs old, I would jump on it in a heartbeat. Thank you.

• I had mine in 2004 but it was done as a clinical trial surgery here in the usa,
    My dr at the time was doing multiple level adr also as clinical trial,

My l4l5 artificial disc surgery became a nightmare with nerve damage and was fused 2 years later,

You are lucky your surgery helped you with your l5s1. What adr did they use?
    I had the flexicore adr,

There is 1 member here who had 3 levels adr screen name triple adr. I am not sure how he was able to have it done here in the usa and have insurance cover it,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • you would NOT JUMP AT THE CHANCE to have 3 lower disc done .my consultant is classed as one of the best in the uk and 3 level is MASSIVE MASSIVE operation you need to be super fit and willing to go through hell and back and back again and full recovery is very long and you need to follow post instruction to the letter .because if you don't you are in serious trouble .once ADR fails its incredibly hard almost impossible to replace the risk to your spine and legs and the ability to go to the toilet and live a semi normal life .you don't even want to go there .my consultant told me he had to do a replacement ADR {done by another consultant} and he told me its the hardest this to do and the result is not very good even from a highly trained consultant so imaging 3 ADR failing !! what most tend to do is ADR on one level the fuse the rest .but lets not kid ourselves //once you get to ADR/FUSION your back is on its way to hell
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Adr and fusion= spine going to hell?

We have few members who had adr at 1 level and fusion at next level and are back to work, khump= ken is one of them who comes here still once a while,

There are a few others but i dont think they come here any more because they doing fine and living there life,

Adr recovery is actualy faster then fusion recovery, i had both so i would know,

If adr is done correctly i dont care how many levels it can work, but fusion and adr can work together and keep some motion that you would not have otherwise,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I need information on doctors that are performing 3 level lumbar disc replacement. I also have 2 disc in the thoracic area that are damaged. I saw that a couple of you have had this done could you make a recommendation. Thanks