Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Started the paperwork for disability today

RatSquadRRatSquad Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Health Insurance Issues
It is official, I am no longer working in law enforcement as of today. I have started all the paperwork for social security disability, and expect a long wait.

Also trying to get medical retirement from my agency, but I think that will take longer. I am required to provide all medical records from every doctor & hospital I have been to from six months prior to my injury. This means I have to go back to 2006 :(

I think I will get approved for Social Security before I even get scheduled to see the retirement board. :/
View my history for all the gory details.

• best of luck to you as you begin your journey for social security disability. i too am no longer working in the criminal justice system. i didn't have to wait that long to get my canada disability pension (canadian equivalent of SSID); it took me about 5 months. i have been waiting longer for the retirement on medical grounds however. god only knows when that will be.

your handle is ratsquad, i had to laugh because my initials are r.a.t. lol
  • Yep, Rat Squad is derived from my position in law enforcement. I did the last 7 1/2 years in Internal Affairs. However that is a name I wore proudly.

Same here for the medical retirement. The State has made it extremely difficult to medically retire for duty related injuries. I think Social Security will be approved long before the State retirement board will see my case.

View my history for all the gory details.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ..a relief to have things moving..in the works.. for the disability and retirement.

I know it's not an easy decision to make, but for me, once made my mind more able to focus on better care for myself and my situation.

Sometimes the readjustment to no longer working can cause a bit of ..now what the heck am I doing?
    I trust you have friends and support from your work and hopefully keep them in your life and your family and others. Can never have too many people who care.. even when there is nothing they can do but let you know they care! :)

Also, thanks so much for serving. You guys... and our firefighters... and armed forces...true hereos.

Best of luck to you!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Just wanna wish ya the very best of luck.
    You will find out it's a long process, and you'll get antsy awaiting a decision from SS.
    Just down get down and depressed, even if you do get turned down. Just get a lawyer and start the appeal process.
    But hoping you dont have to worry about that.

Best of luck