Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

chest pain acdf c56/67

BeyasmomBBeyasmom Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
chest pain?
I had a an ACF on C5/6/6/7 I am about three weeks out of surgery my doctor said when they went in my neck was very unstable? still really don't understand that whole issue. I have obviously pushed it to hard I even went out and danced a few times. Everyone around me expect me to be just fine and make me feel guilty if I do take a pain pill. My right arm, hand, neck feel better then before surgery regarding the pain and tingling numbess ect. But now I feel like something is pressing right around my sternum it hurts so much it feel like it knocks the breath out of me. I also feel like I have something stuck in my throat. Not sore throat but like a pill feels when it gets stuck in your throat. I cant' take it . My doctor said least I would miss out of work was a week, NOT SO. Does anyone have an idea why the pain in my chest? It feels like it is going straight through to my back. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know! I also have a burning down the back of my neck the doctor said that I would get a lot of phantom pain, this does not feel like phantom pain to me...real pain and lots of it. I think what is worse is that I always feel like I have to be up and running and back to normal by now. Thank you for letting me vent...pain pills oxycodone 325/5mg every four hours and morphine xr every 12 hours. I have been sporadic with the pain medication due to the fact I have been on them so long prior to my surgery. Thank you again for listening...0h one more thing all my doctor said was dont lift anything heavier than five pounds at this time frame of three weeks. help

• HI Debra,

One thing you need to realize is doing a ACDF they change the structure of how your spine works. If you have been out dancing say with a partner and they have been pulling on your arms in any fashion you are going to have pain. One thing I don't see in your medications is a muscle relaxer. In my experience following ACDF the most important medication was and is the muscle relaxer. I might also caution you that you are still very early out of a major surgery and your body is still recovering. As far as going back to work at a week mark, I have seen a few members do it, but typically it is more like 6 weeks. Your body needs to adjust to the new hardware and how your spine works. One of the most important things you can do for your recovery is walk and then walk some more. I have also been told to avoid things that involve using my arms in any fashion, away from my body such as reaching. Measure your recovery by the weeks not the days. My surgeon made it clear that my body is going to feel different things and recovery will continue up to the year mark. Your neck is trying to fuse together so will the initial pain of surgery is going down, fusion is trying to take place and you are still healing. Also keep in mind each person experience and recovery is different. But you are very fresh out of surgery and still need to take it easy, you don't want to jeopardize your recovery and fusion.