Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

my neck problems

donnaddonna Posts: 40
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My name is Donna, I have been around for just over a year.
Here is my MRI results...
I have 2 sets.
1.Cord compression at C 6-7 due to a combination of broad annular bulge and endplate ridge associated with bilateral forminal stenosis,

2.Mild to moderate cord deformity and compression C 5-6 due to a combination of broad annular bulge and endplate rige without effect on neural structures.

3.Mild effacement on the anterior surface of the cord at C 4-5 on the right of the midline and C3-4 on the left of the midline without significant cord deformity due to a focal annular bulge.

This is impression from 2nd MRI

1. The C 4-5 disc level demonstrates a 1.5mm central disc osteophyte complex that contributes to mild spinalcanal stenosis.

2.The C5-6 disc level demonstrates a 2.3mm central disc osteophyte complex eccentric to the left with 3.1mm bilateral uncovertebral joint osteophytes that contribute to moderate spinal canal stenosis with mild to moderate bilateral neural forminal narrowing.

3. The 6-7 disc level a 5mm broad disc osteophyte complex eccentric to the right with 4mm right and 2.3 mm left sided uncovertebral joint osteophytes that contribute to moderate to sever right and moderate left-sided neural foraminal narrowing and to moderate spinal canal stenosis.

My nerve test shows damage to right arm.

I have a few questions and woul be happy to answer questions but after typing all of this I need a break so I will be back.

• I have been having pain issues for about 18 years off and on. The last three have been constant pain well except in Jan of 2010 I was gifted with a couple of wonderful pain free days. Anyway I was scheduled for surgery (single level fusion) but backed out because the pain free days came just before the surgery and I really thought mabe my body was healing itself. Now here we are 13 months later and ns wants to do 3level fusion with instrumentation. Does that sound extreme to any of you? I am kicking myself that I did not go through with surgery a year ago with one level. I am worried. I have never had surgery before I know I need it but it is so scary!!!! I really want my life back. I cant beleive I am saying all of this to strangers but I am hoping to get feedback from thoes of you who have been through it.
  • Is the 3 level ns the same one that said 1 level a year ago? I was essentially pain free right before surgery also, but I knew that the intense pain I had felt would come back unexpectedly so I went ahead with surgery. Not to mention that the weakness in my left arm made it nearly useless. My thinking was if I delayed surgery until I had another episode I might be 60, a poor candidate for surgery, and might never regain my arm strength. It's only been 3 days since I had surgery so I can't give you a long-term report, but short term I definitely feel like surgery was the right thing for me.
  • problem is my symptoms have gotten much worse over the past year. My right arm is sooo heavy all the time and I have lost alot of feeling in my right hand, enough to have burned 2 fingers and not feel it. Also ( I cant beleive I am telling you this) but I have had some trouble with incontence off and on. I get severe headaches off and on also. What I dont understand the most is why did I not have pain for a day and a half. Do you know why? Do you think mabe the bones or whatever move around sometimes? Thank you for the response!!! I am really feeling confused and alone. I dont want to talk to my family about this anymore because I dont think they understand, altough they try but the conversation always goes around to someone else they know who had this or that but they cant answer any of my questions. Anyway thanks again and please keep me posted on your recovery and I will do the same for you if you like.
  • I had C4/5, C6/7 diskectomy in November, 2011. This website is very helpful to me. I was ready to give up (and actually started crying a little while ago) when I came across this website and I see that I'm not alone. I am having many of the post-surgery problems as the rest of you. But I'm also having hot flashes which is something I never had before the surgery. Ladies, are any of you having this problem since the surgery? I have a doctor's appointment in a couple of weeks for ths problem. It's so miserable. I have them every day/night, sometimes two or three times a day/night. Everyone, thanks for being there. I really thought things were hopeless and I was ready to give up until I came across this site.
  • I have been having hot flashes and night sweats for about three years but I have not had surgery yet. Mine are from menopause. I dont know if surgery causes them but it would not suprise me if it did. I was taking natural supplements for menopause but stoped because I feel like all I eat is pills.
  • Donna, I can't tell you why the pain goes away, but I can tell you my first pain (a 10!) was over 6 years before I had surgery. I had intense shoulder pain for a few hours and then it disappeared completely but my arm went completely numb. By the time I had an appointment I had no pain or numbness but my arm was really weak. Since it didn't hurt I just decided to deal with it. 6 years later I had the same shoulder pain (an 8 this time) again. After this episode I had constant pain in my neck/shoulder area and my arm would go numb pretty often. That's what finally pushed me to go to the doctor. It's 3 days after surgery today and I have had absloutely no pain or numbness issues. I hope everything works out well for you!
  • By the way, my MRI:
    C5-6: Broad based left paracentral 7mm disc protrusion/osteophyte complex. Moderate spinal canal stenosis with cord flattening. Severe left and mild right neural foraminal stenosis.

C6-7: Broad based 3mm posterior disc protrusion and uncovertebral osteophytes are present. Moderate spinal canal stenosis. Moderate right and mild left neural foraminal stenosis.

C5/6 was fused. Nothing was planned for C6/7 because I had no right side pain. He did tell my girlfriend immediately after surgery that he fixed the C6/7 bulge but I haven't talked to him yet so I don't know exactly what he did.
  • Thank you for posting your mri. We to are pretty similar. I am so glad that you are doing so well. You give me hope and help settle my nerves.

• Yes, it is official that anaesthetic can upset your hormones. I experienced it after my surgery. The longer you are unconcsious, the greater the chance that you will be affected.
    It should pass with time and as your hormones settle down again.

• I am 3 weeks post op 1 level ACDF at C5/6. I am not having flashes but I know when I take tramadol, prior to surgery, it caused me to have night sweats. I am now on Norco, no flashes. But, surgery is such a trauma to the body, who knows.