Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back pain getting worse again pain meds are very high after 3 major surgeries

pamitchfppamitchf Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Lower Back Pain
My story is as follows.
I am a volunteer fire fighter who was hurt in the line of duty. In a short story I fell about 12 feet from a ladder to the roof of a burning building compressing my spine. A week later after multiple Doctors we finally found out my back was to blame. 6 weeks later I had emergency spinal surgery due to having drop foot I had a decompression, lamenectomy, discectomy, and the surgeon needed to pull pieces of my disc out of my vertebrae channel. I had surgery on L4-L5-S1. A year later and more pain I had another surgery this time a fusion l4-l5-s1. Another year later and still lots of pain my surgeon tells me my bones are not fusing in the front and need a Xlif fusion now. I am now 3 1/2 months post op and am stil experiencing lts of pain. I've been on different pain killers, up to 2 months ago I was taking 180mg MS Contin 3 times a day plus 30 mg oxycodone 4 times a day as my breakthrough, 100 mg Lyrica 4 times a day and Xanax as needed for my anxiety every time I think of my future, by the way I used to be an executive chef which is now totally out of the question if I am ever able to work again. My pain management Dr changed my MS Contin to a Fentanyl patch which I am taking now 125 mg and he is taking me off the oxy. It feels as if my nerves that where cut during the xlif operation are starting to grow back as I have horrible stabbing pains in my side in addition to all my other pains.
I have no clue what is right and wrong anymore. I feel as if my pain management Dr has been mistreating me for the past 2 years and pumped me with meds that are not even making my pain tolerable.
Anyone have any suggestions what I should do?????
Will this pain ever go away????
I just went to an IME exam for comp last week and the Dr told me I am suffering from failed back syndrome. I try to contact my surgeons office via email but they do not respond as I want everything they tell me in writing to protect myself.
I don't want to have to go through another surgery again.
Is there a magic pill that heLps?
Thank you to anyone with advise!!!!!!

• hi, i am really sorry that you are in this situation, i too am in alot of pain, oxynorm oxycontin, fetynal patches, and i am in bed all of the timethe only way i can settle is on my side with pillow betteen my legs, i hve had 5 spinal ops and have been told ihave failled back syndrome, buth know sy scans were showing further disc prolems, so i have fought and have not been approved for a last chance saloom operation, it comes as very high rour isk but i would rather know i have done and tried everything, so i guesss what i am saying is please dont give up, as question reseach things, have u been tested for a spinal cord stimulator, these are often offered to patients like us, if not look into it, i really feel your pain

take care annette
    A wooley
  • My drop foot was due to when I fell the compresion of my spine shattered my disks on two levels and herniated on another 2 levels. All being in the lumbar spine. In surgery one of my vertabrae colapsed, Dr had to build a cage on site. Making it a very long surgery, longer for my poor wife whom didn't get updates.
This discussion has been closed.