Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post 4 level fusion,vertebrectomy, 3disc removal..what to expect

TerlynTTerlyn Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm new here. 9 days post op from having C 5 and 6 vertebra removed, C 4,5 and 6 discs removed and the ligament removed. And fusion of
C4 thru 7.. Just wondering what to realistically expect post op At this point I'm hating the hard collar and not sure how long it will be on. Also kinda scared I may even though in collar be moving my head a little, like at night I worry if I'm sleeping in the right position.
Dr said no housework but is there anything I can do? Tonight I was bored and put a jigsaw puzzle on the coffee table but then worried that while sitting on the couch, was it ok to look down at the table..
Just need tips and ideas and what to expect.
Thanks, terry

• Welcome to spine-health. You've just had a huge surgery and the next few weeks/months will be difficult.

Did you have this surgery from the back? Posterior is much more painful and a longer recovery period when compared to the anterior approach.

You probably have enough hardware in tehre that a small movement of your head shouldn't be harmful. But I remember wearing a aspen collar and getting frustrated because of how uncomfortable it was. I complained and asked if I could loosen it. No way--wearing it too loose is just as bad as not wearing it at all.

Each doctor will have different instructions for you. For me, the way I wore my collar was so restrictive that I could not look down to put a puzzle together. I would think that looking down for any length of time would cause some intense pain. But if it doesn't hurt and you are wearing your collar properly, I'd say go for it. I remember those days can get very boring.

I definitely would be careful about lifting anything. Puttering around in your kitchen is okay, but reaching and lifting is a no-no for a while. I still have a dent in my dishwasher front from where I got frustrated and shoved my wheelchair backwards right into the DW. I was frustrated because I kept trying to do things that I didn't have the strength for.

Some ideas for things you could possibly do:
    Movies--pick some good chick flicks and a box of tissues beside you.
    Reading was hard for me because of the looking down thing. B ut if you could set up a book at eye level, that could pass some time.
    Playing card or board games with your family.
    Playing on the laptop
    As far as household tasks
    If someone would bring the laundry to you, you may be able to fold a load or two. I would avoid towels because they are heavy and bulky. Or tackling the "sock basket" that so many people have. Matching socks together is a good I'm bored project. I always have a sock basket with many unmated socks.
    Looking through your recipes and putting together a menu is a good thing to occupy some time
    Wipe down the sink and the bathroom mirrors, but I wouldn't scrub the tub or toilet. I think you could get away with light cleaning but nothing where you have to scrub.

Just be careful. If it hurts, stop. I'd love to hear more about your story and how you go to this point. Good luck to you in your recovery.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!