Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Constant buttock pain

ShamoSShamo Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Chronic Pain
Hey guys. I'm 24 male from Australia, very fit play a lot of sport and hit the gym often. 8 months ago out of nowhere I noticed pain while sitting. Everyone's bum gets sore when they sit too long so I though nothing of it. The next day I sat down and in one minute my ass was killing me. It has not left since. I have no back pain at all but do get achy legs easily. I've had MRI scans of both hamstrings and piriformis areas and my spine. All showed I was fine. (very frustrating). I've had cortisone shots into hamstring attatchment areas in my bum and another set in the piriformis muscles. They did nothing. I've had endless physio/massage/chiro/warm bath. Nothing conventional works.

Why can I not sit down without excruciating muscle pain? Pain killers like strong amounts of codeine/endone (oxycontin) take all the pain away but the best that works is Valium due to it's muscle relaxant properties. Obviously these wear off though and the pain comes back.
This is why I believe it is piriformis syndrome despite scans not showing it. Because when the piriformis relaxes it doesn't hurt to sit on.

I'm 24 and struggling to get my head around why this has suddenly happened to me considering I'm a teacher and sit down far less than many others. I'm about to try my last diagnosis possible and have seen every doctor in the state. I'm doing a nerve transmission test in the buttocks to determine if the nerve endings are firing slower than normal which would Mean that they are being compressed by muscles. My doc (the best in the state) feels this would be enough evidence to take to a surgeon and get a release surgery in the piriformis area. Has anyone had this surgery? This has been a nightmare that won't end. There has to be an answer?

• I'm sure there IS an answer because there can't be pain without a reason for it.

For me, the butt pain comes on strong if I sit at 90 degrees, stand or lay in bed in one position for too long. I've been told this particular problem is sacro-iliac joint dysfunction - so it's not a muscular problem like you are experiencing and it didn't show up on MRI either.

My diagnosis was confirmed when I had a steroid injection into the S.I. joint in May 2011 which completely took the pain away for 24 hours (I was hoping it would last for weeks/months, but such is life). My surgeon also did the 'Fabers' test to make doubly sure.

I really hope you can find out what's causing your pain very soon so that you can get complete relief.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Hey sue thanks for responding. Did you are do you have any si joint pain? It has been mentioned to me by physios but I always brushed it off because I have no pain there, even when they press firmly there. Have you found any relief? It's really depressing having sitting taken out of your life :(
  • Yes, I do have S.I. joint pain, very much so at the moment. Unfortunately, it's been getting worse since I had fusion surgery in 2010.

The pain is very difficult to describe, but sometimes when I'm sitting on a normal chair, it feels like I've got a sharp pointed knife digging deep into my right butt cheek (sort of behind the hip bone at the back if that makes sense) and I quickly have to stand up to relieve it. Other times, maybe at night, the stabbing pain continuously comes and goes - like a sharp object is being quickly pushed in and then taken out again, it's weird - almost like a 'pulse' and then I have to reposition myself. On the other hand, if I'm just walking it feels more achy. But the pain varies according to what I'm doing (or not!).

I'm not suggesting that your pain is from the same thing, I'm just trying to show how pain can vary even if it's from one problem.

Obviously I'm not a doctor, and I'm sure there could be many different reasons why you've got pain in that area. Maybe it's muscular, or coming from the nerve(s) or it could be related to the sports or gym sessions you do, who knows?

What I would suggest is, if the pain doesn't settle down by itself with prescribed medication, can you ask for a second opinion so that further investigations/tests can be carried out if it's required?

Perhaps you will let us know how you get on?
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • I too have suffered from chronic back and bum pain, have had a microdysectomy with no relief and am 2 weeks away from getting a spinal fusion on 2 levels L5 S1 and L4, I cannot sit for any period of time and when I do go from a sitting to standing position the pressure is enormous I have to brace myself for the pain that follows, upon reading many of these forums I am finding myself being completely dis heartened by all I'm reading as most of you are getting no relief from surgery or other methods. Am I destined to be in pain for the rest of my life? I currently take Valproate, and Targin and get minimal relief, am scared for surgery as I was thinking I could live a normal life and now I see that I may not, any thoughts.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 11/01/2015 - 6:28 AM
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History