Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Q. Is it possible to still have an ADR even though I have had a Lumbar Laminectomy at L5 S1 and discsectomy, the only alternative that has been given is a fusion due to the fact thatt there would be to much instability at that level even though I have been living withthe L5 and S1 surgery L&D for 6 years now, any thought would be much appreciated. Regards

• you can have a combination of ADR /fusion but both operation are massive and be prepared for a very long recovery .i have just had a 2 level fusion ALIF and it was the hardest thing i have had done i am still in pain and can hardly do anyhting sleep is impossible due to pain and if you are thinking about it please do your home work its a nasty operation
    tony UK
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I am one week post op from adr L5-S1. I had a discectomy/lami at the same level in July of 2011.

I think that it depends on many different things ,whether it will be possible.

I went in not sure if I would be def. getting an adr, or if I would end up withan alif or a hybrid adr/fusion

Because it is so early in my recovery, I cannot say if it will be successful... but I hope so.

Make sure that you have multiple opinions, lots of testing, and the upmost confidence in hour surgeon. It is a big decision to make. You will know when the pain and mobility issues, and change in your lifestyle,get to the point when it is the best option.

Please keep us updated! Wishing you all the best!
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thanks Karen for your explination, it sounds as if I have the same issues as you do. I will take this into consideration with my next visit to my surgeon, personally had I had the correct procedure from the beginning I wouldn't be in this mess in the first place, my personal. Opinion is that Lumbar disectomy are a waste of time both in operation and recovery time and rehab, had I had an ADR originally I would not be in this position now. Having 2 operations and Spending 3 1/2 Years in recovery and rehab is a waste of time. Of Which my surgeon is not complaining.....lol. keep strong.
    Regards Darren. Will keep you informed Karen.
  • Tony thanks for the comment it's definatley food for thought, knowing the pain out come is good for recovery time and having a clear understanding of what to expect.
    Regards Darren.