Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op

Little_EmLittle_Em Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi im only 26 and last year i had spine Surgery this was in may 2011 and i had Microdiscectomy(lumbar) L4/5 Discectomy decompression and lumbar stabilisation L4/5 L5/S1 with the
x-stop procedure, the reason for the damage is still a mystery as i have never had an accident or hurt myself for this to happen but all went well with surgery and i even got discharged a day early but nearly 9months later although i dont have the pain, discomfort and all the other problems i had before(had probs for 11years) i now dont sleep properly at all and still suffer with after affects of the morphine i was on, i constantly feel exhausted regardless Of if i relax all day! I would like to know others experiences as i dont get much help/advise off docs as they just say every case is different, but i want to know if others are struggling or not coping as well as they thought they would, just feel quite alone as i dont know anyone my age that has had this or similar surgery!

• Hi,

Im not a dr but have the benefit of interaction with physiotherapists daily due to my work.

I was a bit older when my injury occured. It was a fall so I can Identify when my event occured. How your injury occured may just be down to natural thinning in the disc walls. There's a variety of reasons like sitting too long, running, lifting. I wouldn't panic, back injuries happen to a high percentage of people at some point in their lives.

Ok so as for the surgery it is fantastic they sorted you out, and im chuffed you are somewhat back to normality. However sleeping is an issue, particulary if you've been on morphine, as have I.

Can i ask when you stopped taking it?
    What medication your on now?
    And how active you are?

Ok, so the morphine like heroine gives your body that natural high. Like ALL heroine addicts they keep shooting up coz they want to relive that natural high. What they are doing is building up a mental and physical gulf between normal health and a more placid-tired state post injection. What your feeling when tired is what the opiate in the morphine has done to you, as well as the natural stresses the surgery has also done. It is in part mental but mostly physical.

If you answered yes to still taking then you wont get away from feeling tired. If you've stopped and off the drugs then you need to start exercising more (not heavily - just get the heart going) so your body releases the endorphines into your body which combat the effects of the opiates in your body.

Don't panic though. In the military when they use morphine on injured people it is known the opiate can remain present in the body for a year. So if you've been taking it frequently then think to when the last date was you took it and add a year.

Again don't be disheartened. Because your young your body recovers quicker. But i would say avoid the alcohol. Your body is trying to repair the liver and kidneys which the morphine has messed with so they need time to flush them selves through. So pomegranate juice, bananas etc will all help.

I hope I've helped unburdened you a bit. it maybe just time is needed because of the morphine, look after yourself