Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I go for surgery

anetsurfer2aanetsurfer2 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everybody
Need an advice here
I had some pain (not too much) in my neck and numbness in my right hand small finger.
I was suggeted for an MRI and it is found that there is disk herniation at C5-6 and C6-7 levels.
There is a considerable compression of spinal cord because of this.
I was adviced by a spine sergon that I should have disk replacement surgery.
I took a 2nd opinion from a doctor in sports medicine and he opined that this can be cured by some muscle strenthening execises.
After about 45 days I am completely free from neck pain however the numbness in the finger remains.
The doctor said that this will take about 3 months (numbeness) to cure and then in absence of any symptoms I do not have to undergo surgery.
I will have to however continue the exercise for life

I need an advice whether a herniated disk can give any trouble in future and whether further bulging can be stopped by any means

Have a great day

• It is your decision to have surgery or not, unless you have a possibility of paralysis from the spinal cord compression. If you don't have much of a risk and the pain is gone, I wouldn't have the surgery.

I decided to have surgery when I felt my life was over because I was in so much pain.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • PLEASE get another opinion .ADR !! ADR/fusion ARE LAST RESORT ..and are both massive complex surgey .i am not a consultant but do have 16 years and 3 operation and many painful procedures under my belt .the fusion was the most painful thing i have ever had done {6 weeks ago] .if i were you i would NOT have ADR or a fusion .from what you have said you are a long way off that yet .and also please remember ADR/fusion MUST BE DONE BY TOP END CONSULTANTS ..please be careful you could be making a massive mistake
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • What is it they say, "if its not broken, don't fix it.". I would thank my luckey stars that I have a life of exercise to keep my back pain under control like that.... I have chronic back problems, and had a fusion 4 years ago, back operations are the last resort, but where discs are bulging and pressing on nerves etc these type of operations are successfull as the problem is known. Where operations are not successful is when they dont know is it the facets cause the pain, is it the discs, is it DDD pain which varies from one to another....

If I were you, I would be extremely carefull with my back. No lifting etc mind it as if you had an operation. I would do those strenghting excercise and enjoy been painfree, you got a taste of backpain and you can see how limiting it is. Please mind your back.

• Get another opinion! As said, don't play games with your spine here. I would suggest seeing a pain doctor of some sort who specializes in spines. From my experience, surgeons quite often rush to surgery. This happened to my x-wife, and she ended up with a fusion that could possibly have been avoided. The same doctor looked at my spine problems, and blew me off. Why? Because I wasn't a good candidate for surgery. These spine surgeons often have a quota to fill! They need to get a certain number of people in surgery. I'm sure we'd all love to believe they only do it when absolutely necessary, but I wonder. Don't put it off, though, get another opinion soon! The problem can get worse if you don't address it.