Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

no secure osseous fusion seen

harriseelyhharriseely Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Recovering from Surgery
My question,( because I can't see my doctor for 6 weeks)is: Does "no secure osseous fusion seen st L4-L5" mean what I think it means? I had a repeat lumbar fusion 15 months ago(because the first one failed)at L4-L5. Over the past 6 months my pain has increased with the typical pain and radiculopathy in buttock, thigh, calf and foot returning. Had a CAT scan yesterday and the report came back saying that "no secure osseous fusion seen at L4-L5 level although there are bone chips and ossifications in the soft tissues around the posterior elements". I can't get in to see either my surgeon or my GP for 6 weeks and wondered if anyone had an idea of what this means. I interpret it, (especially with the increase in pain)as meaning that the fusion that was done at L4-L5 did not take...fuse properly? or completely? or at all. My first fusion at this level failed, according to my doctor, because the bone they put in reabsorbed. There was no instrumentation with the fusion. I have never posted on a forum so I hope I didn't make this too long.

• Do you mind what substance they put in you the second time? Hardware type, your bone, cadaver bone, Infuse, Mastergraft, Trinity etc?

Has anyone else here had the bone implant in a lumbar fusion be absorbed, and if so how soon after your surgery?
  • Your post is not too long, so don't worry about that.

It would be wrong for us to interpret that report, as only your doctor can do that. Was this a 3D CT scan? I know when they were suspicious of failure to fuse with me, the doctor ordered a 3D CT, because that is where he could get the best images. Do you have hardware this time?

You mentioned that you can't get in for 6 weeks to see your doctor. I am wondering if you could send a note or fax to his office, along with the report, asking for him to phone you regarding the report. Perhaps if it is brought to his attention he will see you quicker. Just a thought. I know that my doctors are all good to call me back when I have a question.

Good luck. And welcome to spine-health!

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!