Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm such a "jerk" with my hydromorphone LOL

babyruthbbabyruth Posts: 260
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Pain Medications
i took a drug holiday a number of months ago, and just recently resumed taking hydromorphone and hydromorph-contin again. This time around i am having muscle jerking, kinda like myoclonic jerks (the ones you get in a leg when you're falling asleep), except that these ones involve a number of different muscle groups as well as the legs. for example, i could be watching tv and my arm might suddenly jerk out to the side or my wrist might jerk. i have mis-moused on the computer a few times because a wrist jerk caused me to press the mouse button when i had no intention of doing that. i don't consider them twitches, i consider them jerks because they are a bit more powerful than twitches.

and sometimes when i am falling asleep both legs and both arms will jerk. i have strained my back a number of times when both my legs and an arm jerk woke me up. i've even had a couple where my shoulder jumped up towards my ear ... interesting ....

anyway, this has caused me to do a little reading up on hydromorphone and hydromorph-contin and i am not alone. yay me! muscle twitching and jerking is a side effect albeit that it occurs infrequently with this drug. i'm not as concerned about them now that i know it does happen to some people. i'll mention it next time i go in and see my doctor. she is an awesome doctor, and i wish all you guys could see her. she has treated me professionally and compassionately since my first appointment with her. she is patient and a good listener.

• I get those same kind of jerks, different limbs and areas. It seems to be when I am sitting quietly, like in church, or laying in bed, but occasionally it will happen when I am moving around. My family laughs when they see it. It is an uncomfortable feeling to know that an arm can fly up or leg can kick out without me being in control of it.

I don't take the medications you mention. But your post prompts me to go research my medications.

I hope your doc can help you with this. It is annoying adn sometimes embarrassing. So I understand what you are saying.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I have the same problem, mostly right as im dozin off to sleep and its funny but annoying cuz ive hit the night stand and even chucked the tv remote that was in my hand before and my dog jumps up freaked out. your not alone.
  • is on the same meds as you are for his back. He has the full body jerking too. Especially when he is resting, tired.

More so since my surgery,less than 2 weeks ago, I have been getting these jerks quite often. They are annoying, and I must say , being so soon out of surgery very scary. I am afraid that I am going to jerk so hard I will disrupt implant. They can really jolt me and cause discomfort.I am on one new med, statex since surgery, as well as my regular ms contin.

So, you are doubly not alone, from this household.
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • even though it's not funny, in a weird kind of way it is. you know how North American Regional Air Defense monitors our "no fly zones", perhaps we should have no "lie zones" =)). we should wear pajamas or a t-shirt that warns people if they sit or lie within proximity of certain zones on us that they run the risk of getting kicked, punched or having something thrown at them. i laughed at the remote control fling! i was in bed once and accidentally flung mine too and it hit the tv screen (both are on the nightstand). i delayed my laugh until after i checked out the tv screen to make sure it survived the insult. my kitties have already figured out where my no lie zones are. i've scared :O them on a few occasions but have not made contact on their furry-faced persons. i love my little fluff buckets and would hate to take one out with a rabbit punch to the kidneys.