Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ab & Back Strengthening Belts

sleightysleighty Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Alternative Treatments
I am currently at 5 1/2 months post Microdiscectomy L5/S1 and doing relatively well (some pain when over doing it).

Due to my part time role as a swimming coach I have the fotune of interacting with physio's on a daily basis and 4 weeks ago I asked about Ab & Back strengthening belts and was told no one knew if they would help.

The belt consists of conductive pads (4 on the abs / 2 longer ones on the back). I thought I would have a go as I am aware based on reading my back well being is subject to my core strength and because since my surgery I have deteriorated in muscle strength and not yet attempted to do excessive situps due to fear of reinjury

In the first two weeks it didn't really make a difference and I DIDN'T have the back conductive pads switched on. Last week I felt stronger in my stomach muscles and generally felt better that POSSIBLY the belt was at some level stopping my muscle deterioration. This week I decided to turn the bad pads on and at present only feel some tightness in my lower back similar to when I initially started with the ab pads. At present I have no new pain.

Im happy in myself carrying on but I am curious if anyone has tried these kinds of equiptment and their results?

• Hi Just thought I'd give an update:

The AB belt I've been using for the last 5 weeks today gave me the first negative feeling. I felt this morning while using the AB belt (a 25min session 10mins in) a bout of my sciatica which lasted 3mins from my left buttock to my ankle. I would rank it as 4/10 pn pain.

I had the belt 5 levels higher than normal (60 of 130 levels)which may have been the cause. Both the back and ab pads were in.

I must say over the 5 weeks by stomach feels so much stronger. I feel like my posture is improved and overall I definately have a marked difference in my well being. For this reason I intend to continue using the belt for now and will keep the post updated if I have any further issues.
  • I knew I forgot something:

One of the main benefits I've found is the belt appears to have made going to the toilet more regular and randomly I'm less constipated - which seems to have been a long term issue I got from being on the drugs so long.
  • Just thought I'd add to my ongoing trials of an Ab/back toning/strengthening belt.

Everything seems to have evened off at the moment. I have been no further bouts of sciatic pain while using the belt but I have kept it on level 55 of 130. I definately continue to feel more positive about my injury now I can actually feel my stomach muscles again, and I remain very posture aware that I am standing straighter.

On the bowels side of things I am more and more regular since using this beltwhich agains just adds that bit more of feeling 'normal' compared to how I have been feeling.

I have also started another random trial. The shiatsu chair massagers which I always thought were crappy and just like rotating plastic pegs sticking into my back. I got a cheap £20 one this week to see if it could help with my back stiffness after running (which still causes me some issues). I've got to say when I lay it on my floor so it covers my bum to middle back it really seems to kneed out some of my knots and stiffness.

Aware I may sound a loon but I'm the rights side of surgery now and just want to find simple ways of alleviating the nagging stiffness which is one of the few remaining issues I have post surgery.
  • I've continued to see benefits this week/ I've now increased the sessions from 25mins up to 40mins and on saturday tried to up the intensity on the belt back to level 60 where I previously had a bout on pain.

I had no pain at level 60 and infact went up to level 65 of 130. I did have pins and needles in my left leg (previous problem leg) for 5mins during the session but I stayed on the level (55) until it when and then moved on up.

I have this week removed the back plates for the belt as I was concerned I may not be doing myself any favours based on the stiffness each day when I use the belt. I've had no back stiffness since stopping and only improved core feeling.