Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First ESI 2/15/2012

cactusredccactusred Posts: 46
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Spinal Injections
Hello all, as the subject line above says, I just had my first epidural yesterday.
My initial posts began last summer over in the stenosis area. Basically at 40, I have been feeling the effects of my pars defect at L5 kicking in big time the last year. Mri also stated some mild bugle at L5 and leading to minor left foraminal stenosis.

Anyway, been doing the physical therapy on my own to keep things stretched, and core in shape but just isn't getting by it'self, with mobic and flexeril.

The procedure was pretty simple. I went in, got prepped with an IV, was given a "Twilight" anesthetic which is supposed to put you almost out and not remember a thing. Well it did just that, cause I don't remember nothing. Felt groggy yesterday, slept for two hours after getting home. and iced my back a couple times last night.

Today, my back is sore, like bruised or something, it's an effort to walk, like things are a little locked up in there. I think I'm gonna take some ibuprofin or something.

I got two bandaids on either side of L5, he did the procedure with fluroscopy, we'll see, I am so hoping this and if needed another injection might buy me time, several weeks, months, maybe even a year, or more, would be heaven, I have my doubts but I will hope for the best.

If no response, I will be forced at some point in the not so distant future to do an l5-s1 TLIF, which I cannot do right now, too much instability in family and job life.

I guess, the soreness like major brusing back there is to be kind of expected for a few days maybe???

• I think as your body absorbs the medicine the pain will dicipate.

I have had mixed results with my esi's over the years. What I am looking at for my next one are the intitial results of the "block" and that will wear off in less than a day. But if it covers my pain well then my PM & NS will go ahead with the dorsal column stimulator trial. If my pain goes down for a few days or weeks BONUS :)

Are you feeling energized yet? The steroids usually make me crazy/hyper. Face red hot & short fused temper.... Not looking forward to that again.

Feel better,

• Hi JulieA,
    Haven't really got a rush of energy yet. I did have a headache yesterday afternoon, but that was after I woke up from a 3 hour nap in the afternoon, which I'm not accustom to taking naps. I did have some troubles sleeping last night, I think a combination of taking a nap yesterday and my injections area being sore, made me toss and turn more than usual.

My low back did have redness to it and a little tint of blue today, seems a little odd but I guess that's just some of the trauma to the area.

I have read a little on those stimulators, and seems like a pretty good tool if it offers you some relief that is awesome.