Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cymbalta for Pain

DonnabeDDonnabe Posts: 597
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Pain Medications

Has anyone taken cymbalta for pain? Has it helped you? My pain doc gave me a month worth of samples, i just started it yesterday. I guess it takes at least a week to start working. So far I just kind of feel spacey and mildly dizzy.

I also read that it is a "non-formulary" drug for my insurance (Blue cross blue shield of MI) so that means insurance may not even pay for it.

I am really hoping that it helps and I am hoping insurance will pay for most of it if it does help.

I have never taken any anti depressant before.
ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg

• I take cymbalta along with neurontin and tramadol. A few times I have decided to taper down my dosage of cymbalta. Big mistake. After about 4-5 days I notice an increase in the burning nerve pain. When I increase it back, the burning settles down to my baseline. Cymbalta doesn't take it away, but it certainly helps. At least for me. I told my doctor to put a note in my chart that if I ask to taper it again, the answer is NO. I am always worried about meds and try to take the minimum I can, so that is why I have tapered it in the past. Cymbalta is one I need to leave alone and take as prescribed!

I hope that helps. As far as insurance, I don't know if BC will pay for it. My insurance pays 100% of mine.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I took it for a while and found it to be somewhat effective. I think it's much more effective when the major source of pain has been resolved. For example, in my situation, I had an RFA done so after a few weeks the pain was greatly reduced, maybe 80%. It pretty much took care of the rest of the pain. Also, I always felt that whenever I took any of these types of medications that "elevated my mood", the pain was easier to deal with, or ignore.

As always, though, medications can affect people so differently. What only was moderately effective for me could be a "Godsend" for you. I always found that some of the mild side effects would go away after a few days or a week, like the dizziness you mention. If it is really bad or doesn't go away, definitely discuss that with your doctor. And be sure not to operate any heavy machinery.
  • If your doctor gave you the cymbalta for pain relief then hope it will safe and effective medicine but it can take time to show the effects on your body. I always prefer the natural medicines or doctors advice because these are the safe way to take medicines.
  • I was referred to a pain clinic due to two failed spine surgeries chronic pain. They tried to put me on cymbalta saying it was for pain relief. Im sorry but I just dont buy it that it works. I hate when doctors try an pressure you into doing or taking something that you don't want to. Then when you say no or if you are skeptical they give you that sad puppy face and they say "why not?" Sorry, I dont trust you thats why not. There is one doctor I trust and he is the one who referred me to get spine surgery in the first place which has taken my lively hood away from me.
  • My doctor too put me on it for the pain relief and let's just say besides having terrific constipation, sleepiness during the daytime and some mood swings it didn't touch the pain with a ten foot pole. Then like neurontin I had to wean off of it which gave me terrific headaches. I know we're all different as to what works for us but to me it just didn't.
  • i have been taking cymbalta for a while and have missed a dose here and there with no ill effect. i have a drug plan through work and this drug is not covered by them. i have a second insurance carrier and this drug is not covered by them either. i think it is because the drug hasn't been in canada for long enough. anyhooo, the drug seems to be working; however, i am taking a cocktail of other drugs so it's probably hard to tease out that specific effect.