Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has Anyone Fallen Down Stairs 2 Weeks After Lumbar Surgery

ldavis2333lldavis2333 Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Lower Back Pain
I posted a very long post regarding a Laminectomy L2-L5 surgery. I fell down the stairs 2 weeks after surgery. It is now a week since my fall and I am getting concerned about any damage I may have done. Before fall, I was seeing slow and steady progress. My legs feel better. My back pain is worst everyday. I am unable to stand or sit for more than a few minutes. I lay on my right side and that really seems to aggravate it. No hardware was done with the surgery. I was hoping to feel better than this by now. Getting very depressed, please help.

• I understand your concern. I had C5-6 C6-7 cervical neck surgery and fell on the stairs within weeks of my surgery also. I called the OSS right away. They assured me that I couldnot have damaged anything but could come in for an xray if I felt I wanted to. I trust them and didn't. They say that a titanium plate and screws are very strong and tough. I did not go in and did feel better. I was rear ended 8 months post op. I was stationary and the other car was going around 30mph. Again plate and screws intact. However I was in significant pain with lose of ROM. Try and relax and take your time to recover
  • I am really trying to take it slow. I went out shopping for a few hours yesterday. It felt great to get out at the time. I was hurting pretty good when I got home. Ended up spending the day in bed. Still pretty sore. Husband seemed annoyed today that I wasn't feeling better. I couldn't let it bother me.

When did you have your surgery. I had a cervical fusion C3-C7 with hardware in Sept. 08. My last mri shows anterolisthesis and herniated disk with impingement C7-T1. There's also bone spurs at C4 and C5 with impingement. I just can't handle that right now.

How are you feeling? >:D<
  • This is something I posted a while ago. Since then I have increased my ROM in my neck decreased my pain level but still having some major issues. My strength is gone and lifting caused muscle spasms and major knots in my neck, shoulders, and back. I have lower back issues and some numb toes. Had an MRI on lower back and go back next week to review. Going to have and EMG and possibly a Stellate Ganglion Nerve Block. Hands and feet go hot/cold and red/blue. Not sure if it is Raynauds or RSD. Still going to PT 3x a week. It definitely helps. I am lucky, my husband has been very understanding. There are times when he doesn't "get" the pain, but can see it in my eyes. He also realizes why I was miserable for so long prior to my surgery since he has seen some major changes since then with headaches, pain and pressure. Wish I wasn't involved in the car accident. Could have been worse, the car that was in front of me could have still been there instead of turning and it could have been harder than it was or prior to the fusion. SO I try to think that at least there are a few positive situations and it could have been a whole lot worse. Try to stay positive and getting out even if just to walk to the mailbox or your next door neighbor instead of taking too long of a walk. I remember walking next door sitting there and chatting for a half hour coming home tired, but doing it again later in the day or the next day. Important to get that sunshine and interaction with others. Good luck and have a less painful day. :)

12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with plate, screws,
    BMP & bone fragment filled cages
    2/14/2011 trying to go back to work as a teacher
    2/17/2011 starting PT
    wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
    DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerves
    3 months saw a little bit of bone growth (YEAH)
    4/15/2011 Home Tens Unit
    summer 2011 finally felling like myself, enjoying the last bit of summer before going back to teaching
    9/2/2011 Rear-ended : Back to horrible pain and lost of ROM

Dealt with the pain and issues for more than 5 years
    tried PT, chiropractic, acupuncture, cervical epidural shots and selective nerve root blocks prior to surgery
  • I had a cervical fusion C3-C7 in Sept. 08. It was a posterior fusion with rods and screws. By the time I had the surgery, I was a mess. Recovery was horrible. About six months after surgery, I noticed the same issues coming back. I had little to no sensation in my arms and hands. The pain was getting worse instead of better. Getting pain meds was a nightmare. I went to a pain clinic and they could not do any injections because I had too much scar tissue. I ended up with radio frequency ablation on my neck. It took several weeks before it started to help. That has been the only thing that has really helped. The pain doesn't get as bad as it used to. New mri shows level 2 anterolisthesis with herneated disc and impingement. There are bone spurs at C3-C5. Now I have neck pain radiating down both arms and headaches. ROM is poor. Arms are very weak and I drop things a lot. Surgeon admitted he would have gone down 1 more level had he known this was going to happen.

What is your next step. How are you coping with this everyday? I feel bad that you've had to go through so much.

I am still having a lot of back pain. I can't stand or sit more than a few minutes at a time. I am going to make an appointment with the surgeon this week to make sure everything is all right.

Hang in there >:D<
  • WOW you have been through so much and still dealing with many issues. I wish you a painless day. I am going to the OSS to review the lower back MRI tomorrow. I am willing to have an epidural there to ease the pain. I looked at the MRI as I have a copy (quite interesting to look at) but not sure what I am looking for. It seems as if there is disc space all the way and down. (YEAH!) Not sure if there are any bulges or not. I'll let the experts explain it to me. I'm sure at some point in my future I will have another cervical surgery. There are certain positions or when I turn in bed with pressure on my arm that the tingling goes right down to my fingers. In the past I would just dismiss it, now I put it in the back of my mind and let it drive me crazy for a while. So I am not sleeping too well which makes the day not as productive. Next week I am going to have an EMG and decide what to do after that. The PM dr that is about 45 minutes away says a Stellate Ganglion Nerve Block will help with the hot/cold red/blue and welling that I am having in my hands and feet due the SNS misfiring. Who knows. I don't have a long standing relationship with him and may seek a second opinion before a Nerve Block in my neck. Keep me posted on your dr visits. :)
  • What is a Stellate Ganglion Nerve Block? I've never heard of it before. I also don't know what SNS is. I knows what you're saying about trying to sleep. It starts out tingling and goes to pins and needles to fingers. I can't raise my arms above shoulder level. Are they doing the EMG on your neck? Have you had one before? How's your pain management? I did call the office today and forgot it was a holiday. I haven't even shown him the results of the mri of my neck.

Are you still teaching? Feeling isolated can get pretty bad. I miss my family and don't have many friends left. Most people can't comprehend all of this and don't want to be with someone in chronic pain. I pray a lot just to keep hope alive. I started making jewelry while recuperating several years ago. I love it but, I am in too much pain right now.

I know I am going to feel better eventually. I am really looking forward to spring and going for a walk.

I will be thinking of you and wish you the best with your EMG and Injections. Thank you for reaching out to me. :)

• I am still working as a teacher. It is wonderful to have a place to go each and everyday. I understand what you mean that this situation can be isolating and friends not understanding the chronic pain. I usually don't share the extent of the pain. When it is bad friends can tell by looking at my eyes and the way I am moving. It was bad for many years prior to the surgery. It was the best thing I ever did, but the accident ruined all of that.
    The Stellate Ganglion Block is suppose to interrupt the sympathetic nervous system (sns) from misfiring and causing the excessive hot/cold sensation and the swelling. I have done some research online and it seems promising. I am still not sure if I will go through with it. I keep alot of my pain and discomfort inside as I do not want to go back to my "prior" way of life always complaining and telling my husband that I feel awful. He knows that I do have some pain in my neck every now and then (just not how often) along with the pain in my lower back. I just don't want him to worry and be scared that I will have to have another surgery. That is my biggest fear. Some of my neck pain makes me feel surgery will be sooner rather than later. Originally the OSS said many people do need surgery again in 5 to 10 years, I'm thinking 3 to 4. Maybe I am just upset and having a bad day who knows. Sometimes I have a pity party and feel sorry for myself. I think that is the issue now as I have been awake since 4 and out of bed since 7 and i am on vacation as a teacher. Wanted to sleep until 8. Guess thats not happening.
    Enjoy your walk. I am going to color my hair and hope that puts a smile on my face. Then off to the OSS for MRI results. Maybe out to lunch while I am out and about. I'll see if anyone one is around. Have a better day.
  • I called the surgeon's office this morning and got an appointment for tomorrow morning. I am relieved. Even if there is nothing wrong , I will need to see him regarding the pain. I know I am going to feel so much better when I can get out.

Wishing you the best of luck on your Mri results. Let me know what happens and I will get back to you on the surgeon.:)
  • I just posted a thread with the results from lumber MRI. Not horrible but not great either. Time to adjust. Going to Rheumatoid arthritis dr on Friday hopefully he will break the tie on RSD versus sever Raynauds. I hate going to dr after dr. I feel I am to young for all of this!
  • Where do I go to find it? I saw the surgeon yesterday and he took an xray. The xray came out ok. I remembered to ask what shape the discs were in and he said basically the same. They are still bulging and all he basically did was free up the nerves and shave down what he could. He's already trying to get me off pain medication and I am not taking much to begin with. The constant battle with the Doctor's really wears on me.

I know how you feel about being too young to have to live this way. Going to the Doctor's is usually the only time I go anywhere. It gets so depressing. My daughter came for dinner last night. She was able to take my mind off of it for a couple of hours. I walked about 1/8 of a mile with her. I was a little shaky but it felt good.

I will say some prayers for you for tomorrow and hope you can get some answes and relief. >:D<
  • Glad to see that you made an appointment with your surgeon. Please let us know how it went. Since first heard of your fall, have been thinking of, and wondering how you were doing. Always a good idea to see your doctor after a fall, especially so soon after surgery.

Frenchfri, good luck on Friday. I have raynauds, was diagnosed as a teen, but sometimes wonder about RSD myself.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • We're posting at the same time Lorraine. Thank you for the update. Glad to hear that your xray was okay.

Frustrating when the doctor tries to get you off meds before you are ready.

How are you feeling compared to before your surgery?Great that you went out for a walk with your daughter. I told my husband I have to try to get out of the house this weekend, had enough of the four walls. Hope to try to go for a short walk at the mall.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I saw the surgeon yesterday and the xray came out ok. I was relieved. He is starting to wean me off pain medication and I am not taking much. I am hoping my PCP will be a little more sympathetic. I know surgeons don't want to prescribe it.

My legs feel good other than being weak. No improvement in back pain. I have to remember it still is four weeks out from surgery and need more time.

I don't know what Raynauds and RSD are. I will have to look it up. I am also sending prayers to Frenchfri.

I hope you have a good day today:)

• I wonder if you're still having pain if your Surgeon can refer you to a Pain Management Dr.?

Also when you fell did you get a new injury to your lower back and if you mentioned that to your PCP so he can do an exam and tests? I know difficulty standing in one spot can be from the lumbar area and the Dr. will usually order flexion/extension x-rays. Have you had lower back issues also?

It was good you were able to go for a walk with your daughter there and wonder if you're doing any Physiotherapy? I know I use my walker when my legs are weak and don't feel strong enough so I can rest often using the seat on the Rollater Walker.

Take care. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.