Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fall 2 weeks after lumbar laminectomy

ldavis2333lldavis2333 Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I posted a very long post regarding a Laminectomy L2-L5 surgery. I fell down the stairs 2 weeks after surgery. It is now a week since my fall and I am getting concerned about any damage I may have done. Before fall, I was seeing slow and steady progress. My legs feel better. My back pain is worst everyday. I am unable to stand or sit for more than a few minutes. I lay on my right side and that really seems to aggravate it. No hardware was done with the surgery. I was hoping to feel better than this by now. Getting very depressed, please help.


  • Hey there,

    Did you call your surgeon after the fall? If you haven't, I would call him and let him know what happened. Also let him know that you have concerns.

    You might just be sore or have some residual inflammation from the surgery that is just showing up now.

    Try not to worry too much. I hope you are ok from the fall.
  • Hi DNice,

    I did call the surgeon and they asked me if I wanted to be seen and I said no. I really don't think I caused more physical damage. The pain just got worst and my recovery has really been slow. I have been very careful about going slow. I knew I would need more pain medication more than anything. He did give it to me but, it was for 1 week. Pain control has been an issue after surgery again. They didn't put me on the pain pump in the hospital until the second day after I kept complaining. When they set it up, I used it as often as possible and fell asleep. After a few hours the nurse commented that I wasn't using it and they removed it the following morning. I think I am going to go back to my PCP for more pain meds. The surgeons don't want to be bothered with it. I am definitely going to need it to get back on my feet again.
  • If you think you need a pain pump to 'get back on your feet', I'd go in for a check up. Normally they won't do a re-MRI so quickly after surgery but I would get checked out to see what your surgeon thinks.

    I had issues after 2-weeks. But I had no fall or anything that would indicate a cause for concern so they chalked it up to just the incision inflammation. At 6 weeks I was still having issues and they tried prednisone which did nothing so at week 10 I had re-MRI and discovered my increased pain was from another chunk of disc that came free.

    If you are struggling, go in for a check up. It's not worth worrying.
  • I agree about the mri. They would probably do an xray.
    I am going to see how it goes for a few more days. If I don't see any improvement, I will definitely get it checked out. I don't need a pain pump now. I will need oral meds though to get back on my feet. I've been taking vicodin. I'm pretty sure my PCP will prescribe it again. She knows the surgeon won't keep giving it to me.

    My husband will most likely be having a total knee replacement in about 4 weeks. I am hoping I will be able to take care of him. He is going to need a lot of help. I don't want to get ahead of myself, one day at a time.

    Did you have a second surgery?
  • Hey there, don't be tough. If you are needing MORE medication as time progresses it's an indication maybe things aren't quite right. Your hubby can always postpone the knee surgery.

    For me? Yes, I had a 2nd surgery. I didn't do it right away b/c I actually had to find a new surgeon (long story but essentially he was out of network as were all the others out of the hospital I wanted to use). I had a revision and am 2 years out. My situation is probably very different than yours but I found with the 2nd surgery, I barely needed any pain meds and that's when I knew the surgery worked....I started to get my life back about 4 weeks after surgery and was SUPER careful for another 4 weeks.

    Good luck!
Sign In or Register to comment.