Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery on c4-c5 diskectomy with fusion in nov 2011

falvo321ffalvo321 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi im post op as of Nov 23 2011 was hit by a drunk driver in July 2011. Had to have c4-c5 fused due to herniated disk. I have pain in my shoulders still some numbness and my head at times feels so heavy. My neck never cracked now it does it alot I have a hard time swallowing even water at times. I have headaches cant sleep on my back has anyone had thisn I live on Tylenol and Vicoden ( I never took pain meds till this) Im 42 never smoked no other medical conditons at all. Please tell me this will pass.

• I have not experienced anything like this. What does your surgeon say?? Maybe one of your other discs is bad. I only had one level done, c5/6, but know that c6/7 is bad as well but we decided to leave it and see what happens.
  • I had the same surgery as you and it is a long recovery. Maybe you need to start some physical therapy soon or get on some different meds or muscle relaxers. Vicodin contains tylenol so just make sure you don't take too much if you are taking both. Regular vicodin is 5/500mg and the 500mg is the amount of tylenol in the pill. You can take up to 4000mg of tylenol a day but fda is lowering that to 3000mg because of the dangers.

Anyway, I know your pain. You had your accident after I had my surgery. I lived with the pain for 5 years pre op and do have some nerve damage that hasn't gone away.

As for the swallowing that is not normal so far post op. You should ask your surgeon about it and possibly see a ENT doctor.

Again, you should go see a pain doctor or physiatrist (physical medicine and rehabilitation). I can't thank my physiatrist enough!! Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • :))) I have had similar surgeries only mine was C5 and C6. The first one did not work with the donor disk so now I have 2 plates. I swear it looks like I have an Adam's apple - but I am a girl. I have a hard time swallowing and i get dizzy and feel 'high' sometimes. Since I had the second surgery, c2 thru c4 has or have 'narrowed'. I hope that it gets better for you. I have kind of gotten used to it- the strange sensations and stuff.
    That part of the spine is tricky- you can get some swelling (Stenosis) in the spine and that causes all kinds of fun things.
    It has gotten better for me - I am nearly pain free now, but I am losing sensation and strength in one arm.
    I will take the trade off for now.
    Hang in there and the more people you talk with the more you will know. you are not alone.
  • Hi I would see a new Dr but i have no health ins and the other driver had no car ins this is all on me and I cant afford it now I take teh tylenol during the day and Vicden Hp at nite to sleep. The surgeon said Im all healed and can do whatever on the 23rd of Feb but it hurts I hate that a drunk did this to me and Ill have to live with it forever how nice. I feel better knowing im not the only one and I thank all of you for the replies so far.