Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

julie47jjulie47 Posts: 104
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
How many of you have the "dreaded morning stiffness"?

If you do, I would love to hear things that relieve it.

• i use my TENS and many pain killers and get as comfy as i can on my recliner .mind you i only ever get 2 hours sleep in bed then pain wakes me .
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Hi There,

Most mornings I get up relatively comfortable. Within 15 to 20 minutes because I have begun to move around, the pain level meter is at about 6 or 7. I go to my Pharmacy Cupboard and take my medications, grab a cup of coffee, and sit in my recliner. I know that I am in for just about 1 to 1 1/2 hours of pain until my drugs kick in ... that's on a good day. Other days after completing this ritual with no relief after about 2 hours, I go to the Vicodin ES, ice pack to my neck, and back to bed until pain subsides. I have just learned what I need to do by how I feel and the intensity of the pain. As I have stated before, I finally am on a pain medication regiment that makes this rollercoaster somewhat tollerable. You are not alone. Stay strong and, remember, we are all here for you.

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • Julie:

The simple solution is to just not get out of bed.

The realistic solution includes many options, but the one that you must incorporate into your new life is the mental acceptance of your condition. Fight it as long and hard as you want, it will still be with you. Learn to co exist.

I used to be a morning person. No more. My morning (mourning) routine is similar to what Rassy described. It turns out to be multiple therapeutic activities - slow movement to the kitchen, hot coffee, initial dose of pain med's, check emails and hope the medicine works faster than gravity! As soon as I stand up the pain begins its daily accumulation. By the time the day ends I am struggling to stand erect and not moan and groan. I sure do appreciate my percocet and heating pad.

I have found that the longer I remain in bed the less pain I endure and the less amount of med's I must take. However, I have also found that my paycheck decreases the longer I remain in bed. Have to get up and go, but at a much slower pace.

I also remind myself that pain means that I am still alive - don't want to wake up dead.

Another observation - cold, winter weather almost becomes paralyzing. Me and the tropics are going to become one and the same sometime in the future.

I just thought of a bit of humor to add. You mentioned the "dreaded morning stiffness." Take that statement in another context and some of us would scream with joy!! Another opportunity for us to count our many blessings and to enjoy what we have and where we are at the moment. There are no guarantees in life - other than death.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    that over 80% of the members here experienced that morning stiffness for a short while or for 3 or more decades.

Its almost something that people with spinal disorders, specifically lumbar get to deal with every day.

I've have had all the disc area problems along with surgeries, so I can say which one leaves me sore, or tingling, or with nerve pain or with stiffness, and lumbar always wins when it comes to stiffness.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • since I am young so much, and I won't get any sick like this. But I think I need practice now ,and keep healthy later when I am grown up .
  • As I have stated before, I finally am on a pain medication regiment that makes this rollercoaster somewhat tollerable. You are not alone. Stay strong and, remember, we are all here for you.

• what i do is have a bottle of water and a few crackers on the bed side table. when i wake up i take an anti-inflammatory with crackers (if i don't take pill with food it'll really burn my stomach) and turn the tv which is also on the nightstand, cuddle with my kitty and watch tv until a lot of the stiffness subsides. usually around 15-20 minutes for me. sometimes i put a water bottle with frozen water on my nighstand, which takes a whole night to melt. so when i wake up and have iced water! yay me! thats what i do anyway.
This discussion has been closed.