Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Concerned about Zanaflex and my liver

maddysmommmaddysmom Posts: 137
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Pain Medications
I take Tramadol and Zanaflex for pain control. My dosage of Zanaflex is 4mg a day which I have been on for 1 1/2 yrs. I get blood work done twice a year to check my liver enzymes. Last week I had blood drawn and within a 6 month time frame my levels have increased to a highly elevated level. (5 times higher than the normal range) I have heard that Zanaflex is not so good on the liver, but I thought that was at higher levels than 4mg a day. The doctor wants me to come in for more blood work and an ultrasound of my liver. He said it may even be hepatitis which scares the heck out of me.

• Oh wow that is very scary. I take Zanaflex 4mg 2x a day and 6mg at night. I also take Vicodin and cymbalta which also go through the liver. I asked my doctor about this and she ordered bloodwork. I just started the cymbalta so she wants me to wait a couple weeks and then go get it done.

I hope you are ok!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I am not currently on meds except for an occasional Flexeril 5mg at night and recently 1 dose of 400mg of Advil during the day. My pain has gotten worse recently where I feel I might have to resort to prescription pain meds. My concerns have been the long term effects leading to liver damage. Are there people out there who have been on pain meds for a long period with a normal functioning liver? I am scared out of my mind, but feel I can't live like this anymore!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Zanaflex, my doctor had me get blood about every 3 monhts.

Zanaflex worked very good for me, the one drawback I saw that I needed it more at night
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com