Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laminctomy pain for 17 years.

MarchvetMMarchvet Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:00 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a laminctomy of L5 S1 in 1995 while in the army. After getting out in 1996, I had my back swell up from sitting in a hard chair all day(work training).

I had never experienced this type of pain before and went back to see the doc. He said it as nothing and I would be fine.

Jump forward to today and I still have the same problem. If I over reach/bend down or something similar, my lower back muscles will tighten up and I will feel a electric shock in that area. Depending on how bad it happens, I may pass out from the pain.

The docs have had me on every known pain med, pool & physical therapy there is. These episodes used to happen maybe once or twice a year, but it seems after my fall bladder surgery in may/2010 it happens every few months.

Started to see a acupuncture doc Last week and had two sessions. Today I felt my back start to swell after simply sweeping the floor and decided to lay in bed before it got worse.

I am a 43 year old male. This same problem has really bothered me all here years and I'm constantly living in fear thinking "ok if I do this will my back flare up?".

I'm at my end on what to do. A recent visit to a neurosurgeon revealed nothing after a full neck to lower back MRI. He stated I needed to see a pysiologist(sp) as it appeared to be more muscle related.

From spending years dealing with this I think the muscles were weakened from the laminctomy, but how do I strengthen them without causing swelling and leaving me unable to walk for weeks?
advertisement

Comments

• After doing more research online, someone mentioned "lumbar facet syndrome". The symptoms sound eerily familiar.

Maybe this could be the answer after 17 years. I have a appointment in a few weeks and will mention it to my doc. Afterwards I plan on using this thread to update things so others in the future will have a reference.