Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion or Laser surgery? pro and con

RugbyplayerRRugbyplayer Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I must have written my previous note in the wrong place. my apologies.

I am the mother of a healthy 31 year old man. He used to play Rugby in his youth and had to stop playing because of his neck injuries. Many years later (now) the pain has returned and after having had several injections, an old MRI, massages, therapy, etc., we are seriously considering surgery. My question is: Laser or fusion? Consecuences of each one and probabilities of success? I don't know what to do. I hear fusion and I hear laser, what is the difference. Where is the best place in this country (USA) to have the surgery.

And now, as if it isn't enough, he is into boxing. Talking with him and the consecuences of this boxing is like talking to a rock. Rugby was his passion, his life, his dream...and his future. And now, his valve of escape is 'boxing'

I need suggestions....opinions....you might write me directly to Azulic05@aol.com

My respect and good wishes for recovery for all suffering from pain.

A mom

• i don't know anything about laser surgery but i have first hand knowledge about fusion surgery .and let me tel you they are no picnic.its major invasive pain full an a long recovery .and you will need to protect the spine for the rest of your life ..so contact sport is not a good idea and to be honest with you after the trauma of a fusion you wont want to injure your spine anymore .read more of my posts for more info
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • A good friend of mine had 1 level cervial fusion.. Not sure of the details but he was so happy he decided to do 2 LEVEL lumbar fusion about 1.5 months apart.. DARN impressive.. for myfirend it worked wonders.. Everyones different