Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discectomy to relieve L5-S1, Pain Returning

newmoonnnewmoon Posts: 3
Back in November I had a Discectomy performed to relieve severe L5-S1 pain, prior to surgery we tried all other treatments for 6-months with little to no long term success.

Since the surgery I had been pain free, it felt great to have my life back again. I began going back to the gym and had no side effects.

This past weekend I had to clean a boat. This was the first time I have pushed my back since the surgery. It was very difficult physical labor with alot of lifting and bending. The day after I began to feel what I think is Sciatica although my whole lower back hurts. Now three days later I still have pain in the back of my left thigh.

One thing that may seem differant is prior sciatica pain it was hard to pinpoint the pain by feeling around, this time can touch and spot the pain.

I'd like to get opinions and suggestions

• I had a micordiscectomy at L5-S1 in June 2011 to relieve back pain and left leg sciatica. I had been feeling much better after the surgery, and about the last six to eight weeks the frequency of back pain and sciatica has increased. I was in back pain about 60% before the surgery with sciatica about 80% of the time; after the surgery I had back pain and sciatica rarely, only when I over did it; now I have sciatica about 50% of the time and back pain about 50% of the time.
    I went to see the neuro on Monday and he put me on a new anti inflammatory medication. I also take pain meds and muscle relaxants as needed. I didn't clean a boat, but I recently also helped a friend move. I don't know if it is related, but feel very similar to you.
  • I have a miracle cure for sciatica that even doctors know about, but because the research and development cannot result in a pill that can be sold doctors refuse to reveal this miracle treatment. I regret to say that your surgery was not needed to relieve your leg pain.
  • I don't have any specific advice except to take the clear lesson not to push it after a discectomy, even if you feel better. I had a L5-S1 revision discectomy 3 weeks ago, and already feel much better. But I am going to take it easy for months and build up gradually, because I will not allow myself to re-herniate. Thanks for posting your experiences.
  • Well have since visited my general doctor on this and he had me on a 6-day supply of 10-mg prednisone, which has been little to no help.

Placed a call to my Ortho surgeons office and they will put me on a increased strength version of 40-mg prednisone. If this doesn't work it looks like I have a date with a MRI machine again.