Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weight loss and pain question

CertifriedCCertifried Posts: 91
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:00 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
I know everyone is different, so I'm only asking for personal experience here. Has anyone noticed a decrease in pain correlating to weight loss?

I've lost about 40 pounds, and have not noticed a decrease in pain. Of course, all of the other benefits from losing the weight are present; more energy, sleep better, my GERD is GONE!, my knees feel better, chicks dig me (ok, wishful thinking). I know that it's much better for me, so I'm not downplaying losing weight at all. I just was hoping to have some pain decrease. My main problem is facet joint arthritis, and I've had it when I was in the Army and skinny, and didn't expect it would magically disappear with weight loss. I was just hoping the reduced stress on the spine would improve things.
advertisement

Comments

• well it depends on the pain, if it persist better go to your doctor
    Terry E. Smead
  • lizzyloullizzylou Posts: 1
    edited 06/23/2012 - 11:11 AM
    Most of my back pain is under control, at this moment anyway, b/c I got a spinal cord stimulator. The SCS is truly a miracle, and has helped tremendously with my back pain! I have other pain, though, especially in my knees and legs. I am very heavy, and I know my weight is hard on my knees. I have had one total knee replacement already. I know I need to eat better, and try to exercise at least a little, but I'm having an extraordinarily hard time just getting started! Also, exercise is very hard right now b/c I have tib and fib fractures in my right ankle from a fall. Hopefully another week and I'll get the splint off and be able to move again! Does anybody have any tips about how to improve my motivation?? I'd really love to hear from anyone who has had success with this problem! Thanks.
    Liz Webb
  • My Dr swears that weight loss helps pain levels. I have to disagree - I lost almost 60 lbs last summer (gained it all back after a fall!) and my pain levels stayed the same. My sister & I have almost the same injuries and she might weigh 110 lbs and is on the super duper strong pain meds tat are much stronger then mine are.

In general does weight loss help us? YES! I had BOTH my knees replaced at the same time and I know the years of being over weight played a major part in my needing to do that surgery. I am also sure it does not help the "wear & tare" on my back.

Lizzy - I have looked for that answer since my accident.......and have only ever found one - just force yourself to start doing something, anything. If I waited until I was motivated nothing would get done. Once I force and yes I do mean FORCE myself to get up and start doing something I ALWAYS feel much better, but each day even after all these yrs I still have to force myself - sorry no magic potions that I know of ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • anGEl34anGEl34 Posts: 3
    edited 07/16/2012 - 8:40 PM
    There are many problems in typical. I also had to go glutten no cost and it does help. I am hypoglycemic so I have to restrict glucose as well. When I am sensation a lot of suffering, frustrated in the evening I come unglued and begin snorkeling into little pieces of factors that just begin to build my urges and before you know it I have obtained another 10 bodyweight. Reducing bodyweight is so so challenging with all of this to management. My physician is just getting the Hypothyroid treatment stage up so I am working with different treatment problems. You seem to have a very excellent mind-set. I am used down presently and this is my first time to examine out this FMS assistance team website. Thanks for giving you ideas.
  • BigRBBigR Posts: 48
    edited 10/09/2013 - 2:45 AM
    I had a doctor tell me that if I lost weight all of my back problems would disappear....... He also said that he could recommend a doctor friend of his that could do lap band surgery for me........ He also in the same breath said he wanted me to get a pain pump....... Needless to say, I found me another doctor :)
    I have adjusted my diet some and have lost about 20 pounds thus far and I can't really tell a difference, even before I added this extra cushion that I now have, my back, legs & feet hurt 24/7.
    I do agree that weight loss can help one feel better overall but I don't think that it is the end all cure all that some doctors proclaim it to be.
    5 MRIs since 2010 | Severe DDD throughout entire Lumbar Region | Facet Arthrosis throughout | Spinal Canal Stenosis | Herniation L4/L5 | Broad - Based Bulging L1/L2, L2/3, L3/L4 - but still kicking - just not very high. :)
  • If you're suffering from osteoarthritis try searching the web for a traditional arthritis diet. It will be great for loosing weight & keeping weight down and it will help with inflammation related pain. It's always really helped me. I don't always strictly adhere to it..we're all naughty sometimes! If I fall off of the wagon for more than a couple of days I start to feel it. Worth a try ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • And my dr said that's great but the damage is done. As a matter of fact, I felt better so I was more active which caused more pain..... Good news bad news thing :((
    But the other heath benefits certainly are not unwelcome. Cholesterol, BP, diabetes, etc. I had gastric bypass in 8/2006 and I am at the lightest ever.
  • There are many thing for losing the weight.
  • Weight loss can help relieve back pain, especially if you carry weight in your tummy area. This is because, when the waist becomes large, it creates a drag on the spine, pulling it forward into an excessively arched position (increased spinal extension). This arching contributes to spinal compression affecting the vertebrae, disks, and nerve roots exiting the spine. Losing weight, especially when it comes off the stomach, reduces the excessive extension of the spine and unloads these tissues thereby reducing pain.
  • Knee pain is a relatively common and debilitating health problem that affects balance and the ability to walk normally. Knee pain can be caused by past or present injuries or by medical conditions like arthritis. Losing weight can help prevent or cure some types of knee pain. The science behind how weight loss benefits knee pain is simple. When you lose weight, less pressure is applied to your joints, including your knees. Discuss your knee issues with your doctor, and ask what kind of exercise might be best for your situation.
  • LarnersourLLarnersour Los Angeles, CAPosts: 52
    I think weight loss and generally weight it strongly related to back pain. As you can move and feel yourself free and slight it can help you to reduce your pain. I know people that after they lost the biggest part of their weight they eliminated the back pain at 70%
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,910
    This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.