Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Got GREAT news today!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I saw the PA at the NS(I also saw my NS for a few minutes, thanked him and gave him a big hug). He said I was looking better than I did before and said my xrays looked great. I then went with his PA and she told me that I can start weaning myself off the collar-YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm only to wear when I go out for car rides, when I'm walking outside when it's icy and not to wear it when I go to bed, brush my teeth, and eat. She said I can start sewing again very slowly-I'm going to get some risers for my table. To wear the collar but to take it off every so often and stretch my neck. We talked for a while and I told her I was so sorry I was a b*tch on the phone when I first called but by then I was just so frustrated. She said apologies were not needed because she said when I saw your MRI and how bad it was I thought that this poor woman was suffering for so long and needed help.

She also mentioned the epidural injection I had. Seems it had calcified and that added more work to the surgery. She said I was pretty bad but I already knew that. I won't need PT unless I have muscle spasms when weaning myself of the collar and then it would only be massage, ultrasound and heat.

She also gave me the go ahead for the surgery to repair the meniscus. So I got such good news today and am elated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• wonderful wonderful wonderful news!!!!!!! :D

When you do start to sew, please let me know of you feel dizzy after a bit. To my knowledge I don't have C spine issues "only" L, S & T but after sewing, PC work etc where my head it tilted a bit I get a tad dizzy.

What type of sewing do you do?

Is your meniscus really painful? I know mine sure was :(

Again I am so happy for you :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I make and sell clothes for fashion dolls to adult collectors. I'm going to give it a try next week after I get some risers but the sewing machine is pretty at eye level now so I might just try it without them first.

I have a horizontal tear in the meniscus along with a cyst from that plus a small ruptured bakers cyst-that explains why my back and front of the knee hurt. I also have bone marrow edema in the knee. Yes, the meniscus is very painful-my knee will lock up and it catches which sucks when you have to walk.
  • I'm so happy about your good news, and congrats on being able to wean off the collar! A word of caution about ultrasound, though - since I'm not a doctor I wouldn't dare try to give out medical advice per se, but over the years, physical therapists have told me it's inadvisable to have ultrasound when there's a history of back surgery, because having it in those cases causes a phenomenon known as cavitation, which I gathered involves formation of air bubbles in the fluid surrounding the spinal cord. I could be wrong about cervical spine surgery - I've had just lumbar, so it might be different in your case - but to be on the safe side I'd mention what I'd heard about cavitation to your NS. A call to his office about that prior to starting PT might not be a bad idea. Best wishes with your knee and your continued recovery from the ACDF! >:D<, Ess
  • essmoe - oh wow! I too never heard of that before. Something to keep in the back of my mind for sure :)

Poochie - why are you still not verified here? I can't remember but I think you have to click a link sent to you in your email to do this.

I was still working when my meniscus started to give me issues. I had to "pop" it back myself. It took any where form 5 minutes to 20 minutes of me forcing it to get it right again. I remember one day it took 45 minutes and I was screaming & crying.

Do you make outfits for the adults who have dolls that they treat like "real" babies?

I love to sew. My favorite thing to sew is blankets. I don't quilt per say. Instead I make "granny knots".

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.